Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Hard wired fire alarms keeping going off

Every time my wife cooks something in the oven the fire alarm goes off. I will do my best to describe to you the lay out. Keep in mind this only happens when the oven is set to 400 degrees. I realize don't turn the oven to 400 is a solution but not the right one. My living room which is where the fire alrm is at is right next to the kitchen. the alarm is approximately 12 feet away from the oven. I do have a microwave located above the oven which has a fan. I do utilize the fan while cooking but alarm still goes off once oven is set to 400. any suggestions. I will not for obvious reasons disconnect the alrm.

Thanks. for your suggestions.

sdgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgoss
Every time my wife cooks something in the oven the fire alarm goes off. I will do my best to describe to you the lay out. Keep in mind this only happens when the oven is set to 400 degrees. I realize don't turn the oven to 400 is a solution but not the right one. My living room which is where the fire alrm is at is right next to the kitchen. the alarm is approximately 12 feet away from the oven. I do have a microwave located above the oven which has a fan. I do utilize the fan while cooking but alarm still goes off once oven is set to 400. any suggestions. I will not for obvious reasons disconnect the alrm.

Thanks. for your suggestions.
I would try replacing the alarm. I've had smokes go off for no reason at all. Temperature should not affect the unit. Smoke and also dust will cause it to sound. 12 ft is probably closer than a smoke should be to a cooking area. What is on the other side of the wall from the smoke. It wouldn't be too tough to set a new box and mount the smoke on the other side.

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #3

My guess is that you are using an Ionazation smoke detector instead of a photo-electric smoke detector. The Ionazation detectors are normally used in very clean enviroments; computer rooms, clean room etc.

In any case, you should not have any kind of smoke detector located in or near the kitchen. Use a 135 degree heat detector instead.

Install the smoke detectors in each bedroom, all hallways outside the bedroom and on each level of the house.

These instruction are usually included with each detector. Remember, a heat detector is NOT a live safety device whereas a smoke detector is. If the heat detector in the kitchen trips, you have a serious fire.

Hope this helps.
savfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Contractor

Both of my wives have used the detector as a 'supper's done' alarm. It's why I've always tried to do most of the cooking. LOL.

Seriously, follow the manufacturers instructions or call into the fire dept. and explain your problem. Every place that I have ever lived, the FD will come out for free. Makes more sense than moving all of those trucks and people when your house catches fire. Thinking about it, it may be the only govt. agency that has a grip.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #5

I have hard wired units as well and have never had a problem. They are combination photoelectronic (smoke) / 135 degree thermal (heat) detectors. One of the units is 13 feet from my oven and only 14 inches from a 100 watt recessed light.

If you're confident that temperatures at the unit aren't exceeding the limits of the heat detector then I'd replace the unit.

Last edited by pipeguy; 11-09-2005 at 07:41 AM.
pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Contractor

Pipe, I assume that you don't make Fajita's or blackened anything inside. Done properly, either will overcome most vent hoods and set off detectors as will cooking negligence. Ol'#1 was Cajun and I'm suprised that the spices alone didn't set off the detectors but the smoke sure did, good eats though. Ol'#2 can saute some veggies, get hung up on the phone with one of her spinster buddies, and the next thing that you know, we are buying a new pan and eating Cheerios for dinner. Julia Childs, she's not and thank God for fire alarms.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Pipe, I assume that you don't make Fajita's or blackened anything inside.
Burned popcorn is the only thing that's ever set the system off - and that happened when we all were outside. Smoke has to pile up about 12" deep on the kitchen ceiling before it can spill into the detector.

My alarm guy told me to test the photoelectric cell's functionality occasionally with a small blast of hairspray. That method seems to work just fine. I've never bothered to test the thermal detector-maybe a hairdryer?

pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote