Hard Wire To Plug-in - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Hard wire to Plug-in

Ok, so I don't know much about this whole process, but I have a blower induced draft fan on a kiln that does not work. I got a new one today, same exact fan except that it is supposed to be hardwired. It has two black wires coming out of it (first question why are they not color coded?). I have the original non working fan which has the cord, a three pronged plug and a little switchy thing along the cord to turn the fan on and off.

How do I go about attaching the old plug to the new fan? Also, the fan does not seem to come apart easily, so I would imagine it might involve some splicing.

Any advice to a electrically perplexed person?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

spots88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Hard wire to Plug-in

If you cannot gain access to the terminals where the wires are connected in the new fan, you will have to splice them. Your new fan does not require a ground if it only has two wires. Color means nothing in this application. Connect the old fan cord to the new fan leads with two butt splices (any supply house) minus the ground (green wire). Tape or preferably shrink wrap the splices and the two leads.

Does this fan get it's power from the kiln or a separate source? If it gets its power from the kiln, please post again. There may be a better alternative to splicing.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #3

Hard wire to Plug-in

Thanks for the info. The fan does not get it's power from the kiln, it gets it from a plug outside. My only other question is that the fan specifically says that it needs to be grounded, but no green wire comes out of the fan. Not sure how to go about that, and if I do leave out the grounding what do I do with the extra wire from the old plug?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

Hard wire to Plug-in

Quote:
My only other question is that the fan specifically says that it needs to be grounded, but no green wire comes out of the fan.
Is there a green screw on the fan housing, or a screw with the ground symbol next to it?

It's possible that if the fan is intended for that particular kiln it gets its ground through the mounting hardware to the kiln...
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,546

Hard wire to Plug-in

The fan motor probably has a connection box on it somewhere. There is probably a knockout that can be removed to insert a connector to hold the power cable.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

Hard wire to Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The fan motor probably has a connection box on it somewhere. There is probably a knockout that can be removed to insert a connector to hold the power cable.
Many small fractional dedicated fans and equipment only have a grommet and no access to the lead connections. This is what I am thinking he has. But of course, if there is access, the cord should be installed without the splice and the two factory leads removed.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #7

Hard wire to Plug-in

I figures out something and it works! No knockout box was found and so I grounded it to a metal screw. It looks a little home made, but I'm not looking for style here, just function. Thanks for all of your help!

Meg

Advertisement

Tags
hard wire , plug , replacement