Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Hard wire 2 smoke detectors together

Hello all.

I need to know how to properly hard wire together 2 smoke detectors on the same floor so that if one detects a fire, both of them will set off their alarms.

I have heard that you a need 3 wire cable to go between both alarms, but I don't know for sure what I need. Also, what thickness of wire should I need/use? Just standard 14/3?

Could someone post a wiring diagram? It would be much appreciated.

Anything else that I may need to know would help out too. I want to have the wires at least ran through the ceiling ASAP so that I can insulate and drywall.

Thanks!!

tstorzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Electrician

You need to run a 14/2 to your first smoke, can't say for sure where you can pull this power from because i don't know which country you are in. You will need 14/3 to connect the two together(black-hot, white-neutral, red-interconnec) The interconnect is usually orange on the smoke.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #3

Some localities require the smoke detector circuit to be wired into the master bedroom lighting circuit. This way if the breaker trips (and you no longer have working smoke detectors), you'll know it. If you have both 14/2 and 14/3 you can run it the way darren suggests. If you haven't purchased the wire yet, you might consider just picking up the 3 wire. You won't need the additional red for the first part of the new circuit, so cap it off (small wire nut) at the first point of the circuit (panel or junction/splice box) and where it enters the first smoke's location. From the first to the last smoke detector, wire the way darren suggests. Pushing the test button only tests the smoke detector you're at. To make sure they all work, blow out a couple of candles nearby (or if you smoke) and all of them should sound.
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
Some localities require the smoke detector circuit to be wired into the master bedroom lighting circuit. This way if the breaker trips (and you no longer have working smoke detectors), you'll know it.
I prefer that smoke detectors be on a circuit with other lights for just this reason, but I should point out - loss of power shouldn't mean loss of protection.
Buy smoke detectors with battery backup, not AC-only. Actually, I think they are required everywhere now. Been required here for a long time.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
Some localities require the smoke detector circuit to be wired into the master bedroom lighting circuit. This way if the breaker trips (and you no longer have working smoke detectors), you'll know it. If you have both 14/2 and 14/3 you can run it the way darren suggests. If you haven't purchased the wire yet, you might consider just picking up the 3 wire. You won't need the additional red for the first part of the new circuit, so cap it off (small wire nut) at the first point of the circuit (panel or junction/splice box) and where it enters the first smoke's location. From the first to the last smoke detector, wire the way darren suggests. Pushing the test button only tests the smoke detector you're at. To make sure they all work, blow out a couple of candles nearby (or if you smoke) and all of them should sound.
Holding the test button down on one smoke should also set off the other interconnected smokes - If not, there is a problem - read the manufacturers instructions and there should also be a wiring diagram included

Tags
alarm, fire, hard wire, smoke detector, wire