Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |

hanging a light

I took down a cloud light to replace it with a chandleir. The electrical wire is atached to a two by six but there is no junction box.
Do they make a metal plate that I could attach to the joist and hang my light from.

Ben 343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Child Alert! Pull Up!

hanging a light

Two different types, a saddle round box, in which the joist runs thru the center of the box, providing the joist runs tru the center of your ceiling hole where the light is going to be mounted, or if no hole, you cen cut a hole centered on the joist and use that,
or just a flat metal round box, secure it with screws into the joist, hang your fixture
Attached Images

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

hanging a light

I will expand Fltdek's comment little more on this one.,

There is one thing you have to be aware is the numbers of conductors at the junction box and what Fltdek posted the photo the pancake box which it is the left one that do not have much room beside only rated for one cable either 14-2 or 14-3 or 12-2 or 12-3 NM's but nothing more with it.

Now other hand with the box on the right you will have more room but becarefull with the cu in rating you may get by with 2 cable the most but 3 cables no I won't even bother with that one. the Cu In count will get it fast.

Now both boxes as Fltdek posted both are fan rated so it will not be a issue to hang chanilder but what weight the chanilder it will be that is the key issue.

Merci,
Marc
fltdek (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Child Alert! Pull Up!

hanging a light

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I will expand Fltdek's comment little more on this one.,

There is one thing you have to be aware is the numbers of conductors at the junction box and what Fltdek posted the photo the pancake box which it is the left one that do not have much room beside only rated for one cable either 14-2 or 14-3 or 12-2 or 12-3 NM's but nothing more with it.

Now other hand with the box on the right you will have more room but becarefull with the cu in rating you may get by with 2 cable the most but 3 cables no I won't even bother with that one. the Cu In count will get it fast.

Now both boxes as Fltdek posted both are fan rated so it will not be a issue to hang chanilder but what weight the chanilder it will be that is the key issue.

Merci,
Marc
Thanks for covering my back on this one! Definately a couple of things I didn't take into consideration before posting!
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fltdek For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

hanging a light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltdek View Post
Thanks for covering my back on this one! Definately a couple of things I didn't take into consideration before posting!
Pas de Probem at all. That why I mention the cable or the numbers of conductors in there so that way someone can able watch out the numbers of conductors in the box without getting over crowed.

Merci,
Marc