Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Hanging a Chandelier on a Sloped Ceiling

I have a 1930's art deco chandelier that I want to hang in my dining room. The dining room has a sloped ceiling and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find something similar for a chandelir like you would use for a ceiling fan on a sloped ceiling. I was trying to avoid a swag hook and chain if possible.

I have posted photos of the top of the light fixture here as well as a couple of the existing installation on the sloped ceiling: http://ebayphotos22312.blogspot.com/

Thanks in advance for your suggestions / guidance!

Edgar

EmcHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 0

Hanging a Chandelier on a Sloped Ceiling

From what I could see in the picture there are three square rods attached to the canopy. That means whatever pitch the canopy is mounted, the fixture will hang 90 degrees to that. Unless you cut the rods to match the slope of the ceiling, you're stuck with the 90 degree factor.

The setup used for ceiling fans would not work here because it's a single rod setup. You have three rods.

You could build a box to take the slope out of the ceiling. That would work.

If you cut one rod to bring the fixture to plumb (if possible), you would have to be okay with some bend in the canopy where the rods connect.

Another possibility is some sort of swivel, like that on a ceiling fan, but you would need 3 of them and in the size to fit the existing rods. But I've never seen anything like that in that size.

One other option is to replace the rods with chain or something like aircraft cable. Of course, the wiring would show.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote