Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan

I recently installed a brand new Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a "remote control". I learned that what this means is the wall switch sends a radio signal to the fan to control the lights and fan speed. This was not what I had in mind when I thought of a "remote control", but remained excited about the idea installing the fan.

I installed the switch and fan according the instructions. In fact, the little stickers on the end of all the leads for the switch and the fan were extraordinarily helpful and easy to follow (I have done this all many times before with less helpful markings).

More specifically, I attached the black wire from the panel to the appropriately marked lead from the switch. The black wire from the fan went to the other black wire on the switch - also marked for that purpose. The bare ground fromt he panel was combined with the bare ground from the fan and the green wire on the switch. The white wire from the panel and the white wire from the fan were connected to each other.

At the fan, the appropriate wires from the remote receiver were connected to the white and black wires from the switch, as were the white, black,and blue wires to the appropriate wires from the fan. The green wire was connected to the bare wire from the switch. Everything seemed fine and good.

However, when I turned on the circuit, and turned on the switch a loud pop was heard, the circuit blew, and now black marks are visible at the back of the switch (by some small vents in the switch housing.

Based on what I wrote above, is there something wrong with my approach? Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I have gone back over all the connections and everything is tight and correctly attached as described above.

Please be kind to me, even if the answer is something that is totally obvious.

esqjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

When putting the wires back into the elec box at the switch, is there any chance the coiled up ground wire contacted the exposed copper of the black wire? That will cause the breaker to trip instantly. (ask me how I know this)

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I don't know about your connections, but you can get a remote control for the fan.... I just installed the same fan in my new bedroom. The HD that I bought my fan at didn't have the remote, but the one down the road did... just call around. And the remote does not come with a battery, you'll have to purchase separately and it is a garage door opener battery (they sell them at HD also).
martyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think you may have gotten it wrong. Originally, you may have had a white and black wire from the panel go directly to the lamp junction box. Here the black does not connect to the lamp but is directed to the switch and the white wire (relabeled with black tape) returns to the lamp. How many wires do you have in the switch junction box, not including the new fan components?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Rather than starting a new thread I'll just piggyback off this one.

Having the same issue but I haven't hooked anything up yet. I got an aftermarket fan remote.

Ceiling wires:
Red
White
Black
Green and bare nutted together.

Fan wires:
Black
White
Blue

Remote receiver:
Black (output)
White (output)
Blue (output)

Red (input)
White (input)

Basically my question is what do you do with the black wire on the ceiling?

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 01-13-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

We need voltage readings from each wire to ground. Either of you two guys got meters?
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #7

Not I...Although I'll probably buy one sooner than later.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #8

The black white and red from the ceiling probably go to a switch box.

The white is neutral or common. The black and Red are probably switched at the wall. The two switched wires are, one for the fan and one for the light. Since your remote will be used from now on, the reciever needs only two wires (hot and neutral). You can use either the black or red from the ceiling for this, as long as the corisponding switch is turned on.

Just use a wirenut to cap the other wire off.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,004

I bet one of those wires in the ceiling box is for independant light operation. Most likely the blue. Maybe the red. I think it is wired wrong or as stated above "shorted out".
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Electrician philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
Not I...Although I'll probably buy one sooner than later.

I have a Fluke T5-600 and just bought a T+PRO. Both are excellent. T%-600 can read amps and the T+PRO is a digital solenoid type meter that puts a small load on the wire to get rid of phantom voltages. You will find neither of these at the Home creepo. Most supply houses will be able to hook you up.

Electrical supply houses in the ATL are a trip. You MUST not act like a DIYer in the supply house. The counter guys(I have #'s to four countermen in ATL that I can call btwn 5AM and 5 PM six days a week) will attack if they smell fear or uncertainty. Act as if you know what you are doing and have cash.

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I bet one of those wires in the ceiling box is for independant light operation. Most likely the blue. Maybe the red. I think it is wired wrong or as stated above "shorted out".
I think the OP question was answered months ago.

Today we are only worried about Bacardi 151 question.

Bacardi, it is considered polite, in this forum to post a new topic for a new question. I know that the polite thing to do changes from forum to forum, so not worries. Just letting you know.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
I think the OP question was answered months ago.

Today we are only worried about Bacardi 151 question.

Bacardi, it is considered polite, in this forum to post a new topic for a new question. I know that the polite thing to do changes from forum to forum, so not worries. Just letting you know.
I appologize as I'm use to the other way. Meaning if 3 people have fan remote questions, there's not three different threads. Good to know.

Andy, ATL is 100 miles away. When I go there it's to party! I hate cash, I get 2% rewards on my credit card, I hate paying GA tax at 7%, I usually buy things that I need online. Thanks for the advice on the meters. Do meters typically get outdated by ones with new features?

I had to edit my first post in the thread. No blue ceiling wire, it was white. Hopefully that makes more sense. So to answer my original question, the black wire coming from the ceiling/switch will just be capped?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #13

You need to decide which wire to use. either the black or the red. cap the other. you need the white.

Meters do not typically get outdated fast. do not worry about next years features.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
You need to decide which wire to use. either the black or the red. cap the other. you need the white.

Meters do not typically get outdated fast. do not worry about next years features.
When you say decide, do you mean like flip a coin? lol If I have a choice I'd just use the red so it'd be red to red then cap the black.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #15

You probably have two wall switches. one was for the fan, one for the light.

Use the red and just keep the switch that controled the red wire, on all the time.