Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Halogen track lighting quit working

I installed the halogen track lighting a few months ago and it worked fine except a couple of bulbs went out. I replaced them with 50W instead of the recommended 20W max. So I had 160W going on a track that was supposed to have 150W max. That worked OK for a few weeks, then the whole thing went out.

I tightened everything, replaced the 50W bulbs with 20W bulbs so I had 100W going on the track rated for 150W. The lights would go on, but quickly the whole thing would go out. I figured it was the transformer.

Installed a new transformer of exactly the same brand and specs: Lightech LET-151. 120V input, 12V output. Lights went on for a couple of seconds, then out again.

The Lightech transformer has an "auto-reset," so there is no reset button on it. It seems the only time it resets is when I disconnect it from the power source and reconnect it.

Not sure what to do next.

Dialogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Make sure the hot connection to the track and end cap are both fully inserted and tight and are engaging the track. Sometimes they work loose.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 4

You are obviously a DIYer that has just learned a valuable lesson and made a DIY attempt that sounds logical to recover. What do your meter readings tell you?
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #4

I think I've narrowed it to a grounding issue. The canopy cover is loose and I can't figure out how to tighten it. There's some kind of insulating washer around the central metal piece to which the ground wire is attached and through which the hot wire runs. The looseness is around that washer.

With everything connected and tightened up, I get a 12 volt reading only when I touch one lead to the contact at the rail and the other poking around that loose insulator/washer and the metal canopy.

I will keep trying to figure out how to assemble/disassemble this piece until I break it. Meantime, I have an email into the manufacturer, Alfa.
Dialogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialogdog View Post
I think I've narrowed it to a grounding issue. The canopy cover is loose and I can't figure out how to tighten it. There's some kind of insulating washer around the central metal piece to which the ground wire is attached and through which the hot wire runs. The looseness is around that washer.

With everything connected and tightened up, I get a 12 volt reading only when I touch one lead to the contact at the rail and the other poking around that loose insulator/washer and the metal canopy.

I will keep trying to figure out how to assemble/disassemble this piece until I break it. Meantime, I have an email into the manufacturer, Alfa.
A good (and basic) suggestion; Re-read the original assembly/installation instructions. Or get on the Mfr.'s website and get the assembly & parts list from there. Also, with the power off. You could run a continuity test on all the Grounding and power supply parts.!
p.s: Don't overload the sockets or the transformer & track by inserting higher wattage bulbs than recommended. It could burn out the transformer or any other part of the track assembly!

Last edited by spark plug; 02-08-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: More suggestions.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halogen, lighting, transformer