Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Share |
Default

Halogen light - wiring safety


Hi, I have a question about halogen lights. I have a kitchen lighting fixture that is halogen and is flush mount to the ceiling. It seems to get extremely hot, and I was wondering if they have to be wired with any particular type of insulation on the Romex. The manufacturer did not state that 90 C insulated wire is required.

There is some insulation between the light and the ceiling, but the metal on the top of the light, which is only about 1/2 inch below the sheetrock on the ceiling, gets extremely hot. This is a 200W bulb. It's nice if you want to heat the kitchen, but I'm more worried about fire hazards.

Thanks,
Arn
Arndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,669
Default

Halogen light - wiring safety


Is the light UL listed? If so then follow the installation instructions. That's all.

The building wiring does not care what you hook up to it, other than overloading the circuit. The fixture will have the restrictions, not the wiring.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Halogen light - wiring safety


Yes, the light is UL listed. I would not consider installing anything that wasn't certified. And if I could decipher the Chinese installation instructions, I would probably be somewhat less concerned. The load on the circuit is within spec.

Thanks,
Arn
Arndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Master Electrician
 
JohnJ0906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 332
Default

Halogen light - wiring safety


Arn, Do you have 90 deg. C. wiring? How old is your house? With older houses, it is possible that you do have cause for concern. If you have a relatively modern house, it will have 90 deg wire.


Does anyone know off the top of their heads what year romex changed to 90 deg conductors?
__________________
John from Baltimore
One Day at a Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,834
Default

Halogen light - wiring safety


Quote:
There is some insulation between the light and the ceiling, but the metal on the top of the light, which is only about 1/2 inch below the sheetrock on the ceiling, gets extremely hot. This is a 200W bulb. It's nice if you want to heat the kitchen, but I'm more worried about fire hazards.
When I first read this I went on because I thought the replies pretty well covered things. As Speedy said you must follow the instructions for the light and that varies depending on the rating of the fixture. If it is IC rated then it can be in contact with insulation or some instructions say 1/2 inch. If it is non IC rated then you must maintain a minimum of 3 inches from insulation or whatever the manufacturer states....this goes back to reading the instructions.

Halogens are very hot, much hotter than incandescent, though technology is getting better with these lights it is critical to follow the clearance from combustibiles spec'd by the maker and add a little if possible.

Now a 200 watt halogen would be one hot son of a gun and I doubt... though I suppose possible.... that it can be within three inches of insulation or any combustible.

I would take a peak at the drywall or if trim ring is used take it off for a look see. If the drywall is showing discoloration I'd get that 200 watt bulb out of there.

Another thing is that many 120 volt incadescent fixtures will accept halogens now days. So it is possible somebody may have an over wattaged halogen in that fixture.

It is also possible that this is one of those quartz tube halogens and I would have to ask why on earth that is installed in a ceiling.

Can you get a picture posted?


Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-11-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halogen motion sensor light stopped working, Incandescent still works keyser soze Electrical 6 05-29-2007 08:53 PM
bathroom light bar wiring kenny11876 Electrical 6 03-05-2007 06:25 PM
light fixture wiring jasjks Electrical 4 11-29-2006 02:51 PM
wiring a light Unregistered Electrical 6 01-08-2005 09:19 PM
wiring a new light ugmr10 Electrical 2 12-30-2003 10:59 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.