Halogen Bulb Instead Of Incandescent? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

halogen bulb instead of incandescent?

this is the fixture I have.
http://www.feiss.com/17046/WB1392BS-Sconce.html

I was wondering if one can put something like a PAR20 60W bulb because I like the color rendering of halogen. Obviously I am new to this and don't know if the heat will be different between 60W halogen and 60W tungsten

If that is a big mistake please let me know. The sticker on the fixture itself says 60W max.

Advertisement

DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Halogens are a nice bright light source. I have art gallery clients and do lighting for them. We live by halogens for now to point at artwork. They do burn really, really hot though at over something like 500F degrees so you need to make sure your fixture can take the heat. In a home, I would not enclose one in a fixture like you show.

You know, a new LED bulb array will set you back a few bucks but you will probably die before you ever have to replace it. I think you would like the color of the light too. You can get them almost as bright as as 60W conventional fixture and the technology is improving. CFLs come in different light colors too and that would be my second suggestion. You will not find the nicer color of light options at a box store though. You will need to go to your lighting and electrical supply dealer.

CFLs (compact florescents) will draw a fraction of a conventional bulb and an LED array will draw even less.

I love the quality and color of light halogens provide but only have them in my home where I have enough airflow around to keep them cool and where there is no possibility a person could ever come in contact with something so hot. I personally would not attempt to sitck one in a fixture not built to take the heat.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 01-03-2010 at 05:47 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sdsester has a point; halogens would be a little tough to get in there because of how much they heat up. Depending on what its being used for CFLs come in a wide variety of color temperatures and intensities some of which might be close to halogens =)

LEDs are slightly cooler (more blue) than halogens I think.
munir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

"Halogen" lamps do not generate any more heat overall compared with "ordinary incandescents" of the same wattage. A halogen lamp is a kind of incandescent lamp.

The hazard exists because many styles do not have an "outer bulb" and the small capsule attains a much higher surface temperature.

Except for certain styles which must have the base up or down, a halogen lamp can be used anywhere an ordinary incandescent of the same or higher wattage was used and where flammable objects such as curtains or mobiles don't drift or blow or sway closer than before.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-03-2010 at 10:05 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

It sounds like I shouldn't but are these safe to use? Since they are made to replace A19 bulbs?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...137&lpage=none
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
"Halogen" lamps do not generate any more heat overall compared with "ordinary incandescents" of the same wattage. A halogen lamp is a kind of incandescent lamp.

Except for certain styles which must have the base up or down, a halogen lamp can be used anywhere an ordinary incandescent of the same or higher wattage was used and where flammable objects such as curtains or mobiles don't drift or blow or sway closer than before.

This is aburd and really dangerous advice. Halogens of whatever wattage burn hotter than incandescents whether they come in encased in a layer or not. I have more than a few burn scars from moving gallery lights around when I forgot the fixture I was touching was hot enough to bake a chicken. I mention 500F again. And even 20W halogens.

The comment about the LED arrays looking a tad blue is correct but I have been trying some for ambient lighting that are really nice. They kick only about the equivalent of a 60W though and go for like $40 each. If mythology works, they will never have to be replaced though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #7

It's true that the heat output of all 60w bulbs is the same, but if the bulb has 2/3rds the surface area it will probably have 3/2 the surface temperature, but then a smaller bulb will have more air space around it in the fixture.

Without researching it, I'd say incands and halogens are interchangeable in this application. But the fixture may call for 90C wire, even if it's wall mounted.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #8

Less surface area = less cooling = means the bulb stays hotter
They do burn hotter
I couldn't find anything comparing the heat output
I do know a 20w halogen will burn my fingers & a 20w incandescent will not

Quote:
Halogen lamps get hotter than regular incandescent lamps because the heat is concentrated on a smaller envelope surface, and because the surface is closer to the filament
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

" For example, in the case of a non-halogen, i.e., incandescent, light bulb operating in a "base down", i.e., facing downward (as this term is used in the art) position, the better than 90% heat conversion rate can cause the glass temperature of a 100 watt general service bulb to reach 450 F. (230 C.). In a base up, or upward facing position, the glass temperature of such bulbs reaches only about 225 F. (108 C.). Thus, a bulb in a base down position retains much more heat than a bulb in a base up position, particularly when the bulb is contained within a fixture, since the heat generated by the bulb becomes trapped within the fixture and can thus significantly increase the glass temperature.

Alternatively, in the case of, e.g., a 60 watt halogen bulb, the glass temperature in a base down position can reach 430 F. (220 C.), i.e., almost that of a 100 watt incandescent bulb, when the bulb is contained in a fixture, even though the wattage of the halogen bulb is only slightly more than 50% of that of such an incandescent bulb. Thus, as would be apparent to one of ordinary skill in the art, halogen bulbs rated for even higher wattages, particularly when enclosed within a fixture, would reach temperature levels substantially above those achieved by incandescent bulbs.
"
but the total heat output is still equal to the wattage input.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 01-04-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. Still want to see if these can be used

The fixture does have a few holes in the shade above the bulb base... but it is a plastic ring to secure the shade, so I wouldn't want excess heat on there.

What if I use a 40W Halogen bulb, because I want the halogen color more than intensity.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #11

The link goes to a fixture that list a 100w bulb as Max ?

WB1392BS - 1-Light Parker Place

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
Thanks for the info. Still want to see if these can be used

The fixture does have a few holes in the shade above the bulb base... but it is a plastic ring to secure the shade, so I wouldn't want excess heat on there.

What if I use a 40W Halogen bulb, because I want the halogen color more than intensity.
One would think that with a company like GE that they have done extensive testing and have a UL listing when selling and advertizing a product such as this for the application. Espically for their own liability.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
The link goes to a fixture that list a 100w bulb as Max ?

WB1392BS - 1-Light Parker Place

Yes sir.. but when I got it, it looks just like the picture and there is a little white sticker on the lamp shade that says 60W max. So I have to go with the 60W figure.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
Yes sir.. but when I got it, it looks just like the picture and there is a little white sticker on the lamp shade that says 60W max. So I have to go with the 60W figure.
Wise choice.
You can go lower never higher.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #15

I suppose I can put a 100W equivalent CFL which draws 23W or something
Kind of a bummer with the sticker because I thought I was able to have 200W of light from the website but only 120W now.
It is providing light for a cooking and baking prep area so I wanted halogen for best color rendition.. when making that strawberry sauce etc.

Advertisement