Halo Recessed Light & Trim Compatability - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Halo Recessed Light & Trim Compatability

I am in the process of converting several rooms in my home from fan lights to recessed lights. I would like to use the larger BR40 bulbs instead of the smaller BR40 bulbs because they offer higher wattage/light output. However, after visiting the local Home Depot which carries Halo lighting products, I noticed that they sell 2 types of cans: H7 and H7IC with the only difference between the two being that the H7IC allows for insulation contact. I plan on using the H7IC since I will be back filling the attic with insulation. Anyway, on the specs it says that you can use a BR40 bulb up to 90W with these cans but only if you use the type 30 enclosed trim. You can not use these with the open trim (which is what I was planning to use). Yet you can use the smaller BR30 bulbs with open trim. Does anyone know why this is? Is it because the perimeter of the larger bulbs is closer to the edge of the can and can overheat it? Can I get away with using the BR40 if I use a lower wattage bulb like a 65 watt instead of the 90 watt or if I use a CFL bulb (since they barely generate any heat)?

Also, what is the main difference between the IC and non-IC housings?

Advertisement

GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,310

Ic is in contact with insullation, and non ic needs a a 3 inch clearance.
My book shows that the 30 trim is the only one that takes a br40.
The other trims, take a par 30, but most go up to 75 watts.
Some only allow 60 watt a-19 bulbs.

Look at the halo web site for more info.
You may have to go to a supply house to get other trim options.

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Finally got around to contacting Halo about this. They could not give me a straight answer as to why a 65 watt BR30 was acceptable but a 65 watt BR40 was not. Basically just said that since the BR40s can go up to 90 watts, all BR40s are specified against having open trim because a 90 watt bulb would produce too much heat when used in an open trim. Also clarified the difference in the IC and non-IC models: IC models have a thermal fuse that shuts off power to the bulb if the unit gets too hot, not sure if this is resettable or not. I will be using all CFL bulbs which put out much less heat so I'm confident that the BR40 open trim will work for my application.

By the way, I read a recent article that said they will stop producing 100-watt incandescent bulbs at the end of 2011 and follow with the lower wattages every year after that. Does this apply to indoor floodlights as well?
GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote