Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

HALO H7ICAT Socket Plate Adjustment

Hey all-

Got a question for anyone who has experience with Halo H7ICAT recessed housings.

I installed several of these in my front stairway ceiling. I bought simple baffle trims to go with them and based on Halo's specifications, decided to use BR30 lamps for the application. In my lower living room, I have installed non-ICAT Halo H7T's and with those housings, you can adjust the socket plate to move the lamp further into the can or closer to the its mouth. What I noticed on the ICAT housings is that there is a screw in the side of each can whose function appears to prohibit moving the socket plate further up into the can. When you install a BR30 lamp, its face is basically flush with the opening of the can and the installation looks pretty shabby since you can see the majority of the socket plate behind the lamp (not to mention that the baffle trim is basically useless).

I tried emailing Halo and while I did not get an answer to my question, they did send me a pen . I'm assuming that the design is such to prevent excessive heat buildup in the ICAT cans by moving the lamp further into the can. Still, I don't know why Halo wouldn't tell you to at least use a short neck PAR lamp with these housings.

Any experience or comments?

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited by BigJimmy; 05-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
I'm assuming that the design is such to prevent excessive heat buildup in the ICAT cans by moving the lamp further into the can.
You are correct. The plate in the ICT housing is not adjustable.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Use short based halogen lamps.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Use short based halogen lamps.
Thanks 220. I already decided to use short-neck PAR's but it would have been nice to know all of this before I bought the lamps. Threre is no mention in the instructions (that I could find anyway) that the socket is not adjustable. And Halo so far has proved suck-worthy in responding to my inquiry.

Good thing that I've got you guys!

Jimmy