DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hallway lighting.

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  msaeger 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide on what to use to light a hallway on the second floor of our 1 1/2 story.

In the photos the straight wall across from the sloped wall will be gone and replaced by a railing so I don't think wall mounted would be good.

The hall is 8' x 20' on the floor and one wall is sloped. there is also an 8' x 6' area at the top of the stairs.

Would recessed lights would be best?

Hall

Top of stairs

#2 ·
Are you saying it'll be an open loft? Sounds similar to what I have (open loft), except I 3 large windows in the loft at the end, outside wall to let light in. Also have 6 more windows in the living room.
I have a 6" can at the top of stairs, and 2 6" cans in the loft area with 2 more next to the loft that shine down in the living room. Not a ton of light in the loft, but adequate. Loft doesn't get used for sitting or reading. Just decorations.

#3 ·
I would do a light down around 18 inches from the floor to light the walking path, and same with going up the stairs, that you could have set up on a photo-electric, or just a simple light switch. As for the ceiling, what style are you looking at? Depending on your budget, you can also consult with a lighting expert in your town, if you have a place that does nothing but lights, compared to just walking into home depot, lowe's, or if you have a menard's. Only you are going to know what will work best.

http://www.lowes.com/pc_Lighting+Fans_4294935637_4294937087_

#4 ·
I guess you could say it will be a loft I won't have any windows though it is just going across the entry way. The only exterior light getting in would be from the side lights on the front door.

I won't know what works best until I see it then it's too late :)

I am thinking surface mounted lights would look bad and I can't really do wall mounts in the loft part because the wall is sloped I don't think I can anyway. Unless I do like gregzoll is saying then I could put them in the knee wall. I think I need more than one though.

#5 ·
Can you do a Sun-tube to help bring light in through the ceiling? As for lighting it never is late to do it, it is just time consuming. Just get the boxes in the middle between walls, and aprox. distance between them. Can you post the drawing of the space? Also, if you are running coax for tv, may want to pull Cat-5e for both telephone & Networking. Take everything into consideration, since you have the walls open.

#6 ·
Defiantly running cat5 and coax I suppose I should do an analog phone too. Those are already run up there from the basement I just need to get them to the rooms. I could do a sun tube or a sky light I guess I don't know if I really want one though. Maybe I will change my mind after it's all closed in :)

I am trying to decide before we get the drywall up if I want recessed so I can put them in now instead of using remodels.

#7 ·
No need to run Cat-3 (ie telephone wire), since you are running Cat-5e. The plugs on the cords for the telephones will fit into the jack for the ethernet. You just have to use a patch cord for which jacks have phones, and which have ethernet, through either a patch panel, or something like the Leviton Structured wiring panels.

#10 ·
Correct. And depending on placement of equipment and in the case of A/V, you have to look at that also. Where a bed may go, you could run one wire there, and if there is going to be a computer somewhere up there, I would go with at least 3 runs. Our master has one run for the ATT U-verse box, in my son's room, we have one at where his computer sits, and two where his tv is (one for u-verse, one for his xbox 360). If you go wifi, then you can also use wifi security cam's. In my network, I use a mix of Wifi & Wired, no telephone since we exclusively use cell phones, faxing I do through myfax.com to take care of that need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.