Hallway Light Flickering When First Turned On. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

Hallway light flickering when first turned on.

I've noticed it a few times now. When I first turn on the hallway light it has some minor flickering for 2-4 seconds and then stops. If I turn the light off and back on it does not do it it seems to only be when I turn it on from a cold start. Recently a lot of more lights were added to this circuit but they were not on at the time of this but could that still have something to do with it?

* The first time I saw it I changed out the light bulb but that didn't help.

Advertisement

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

The switch could be wearing out, including for such reasons as old age.

A typical light switch will handle several light bulbs.

When installing a new switch, wrap the wires around the screw terminals to attach them. Don't use the push in holes in back unless a screw is provided and absolutely needed to hold the wires in place back there.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-23-2009 at 08:16 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Is it a fluorescent light or incandescent? If it's a fluorescent theres little you can do. (In some instances "older models" a starter will be present in the fixture. You could try replacing that). Replacing the fixture is the only other option.

If it's an incandescent, tighten or replace the bulb.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote