Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Share |

Hallway Light

I am confused. Easy enough to do as I'm polish, but hopefully you'll be able to help me out. I am trying to change out my hallway light with a new one, as the old one doesn't fit the style of my home. I pulled the old fixture down and looked at the ceiling box with amazement, awe and wonder. It appears to be an old metal box, with four BX cables running into it. They are sufficiently degraded to the extent that I see a red cable, black cable and a white cable. I'm guessing on these colors as the sheathing looks like it's seen better days. Coming off of the wire nuts are two much smaller single strands of what appears to be 14 or 16 guage wire, one black and one white. The new light fixture has "speed clips" for attaching these wires. First question: As this is armored cable, it does not need to be grounded correct, as the cable sheath itself is a ground, 2nd, the nuts are marked 16 AL, which I'm assuming is aluminum wiring, so am I safe to proceed to a "speed clip" with copper wire in it, and lastly, the light itself reads you must have 90 degree C conductors, and many homes built prior to 1985 do not have this. It is a fire hazard to install this light without it. How would I know if this is compatible wiring because I'm beginning to think it isn't and I'm going to need to run a new 12/2 line and a new box. Please help me. I can provide photos once I take ones that aren't crappy.

wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

Hallway Light

Your wires are most certainly not 90C wires. The fixture will get to hot and damage the insulation on the wires you have now.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Hallway Light

depending on what type of AC cable you have, the shield may or may not be acceptable as an EGC. What is commonly called BX cable is actually early MC cable. The sheath on BX is not acceptable as an EGC.

I'm not sure if you have aluminum or copper wiring from your description but the connectors you use must be rated to be used with whatever material you actually have.

and it is unlikely that whatever wire you have in your house is rated at 90

Oh, and to the attempt at humor based on deprecation of the Poles, you might want to note what well known and respected people are of Polish heritage.

here is a very list of famous Poles. You should notice some very familiar names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Polish_people

Last edited by nap; 06-26-2010 at 08:10 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 AM   #4

Hallway Light

Hopefully you did not take any of the wires apart except for disconnecting the old light fixture. If you did the problem would become much more difficult (to put it back together correctly).

The metal sheathed cables may or may not be sufficient to act as ground wires (equipment grounding conductors). This can also depend on whether the joints where a screw may hold the cable onto the bushing or in an outlet box are oxidized or not quite tight.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-27-2010 at 05:47 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Hallway Light

All of the old wiring is still intact and functioning. There is no semblance of oxidation and the old cable seems to be tight in the box. It also looks like this is a junction to an upstairs outlet or possibly ceiling fan based on tracing the wiring. The little 16 guage wiring that hooks up the light was wirenutted in place. What is my best course of action to solve this? Use the old 16 awg wires and connect them to the new fixture? Make a hole in the ceiling and run 12/2 to the box and pull out the old armored cable back to the switch?
wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote