Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Hall light worked before installing a new light fixture in bathroom

I recently installed a new light fixture in the bathroom and the switch for it works fine, but the light switch on the other side of the wall for the hallway wont turn on the light. The box in the ceiling where I hooked up the new fixture has two romex wires (with three wires each, white , black, and copper.) coming in with a white and black tied together, and the other black and white hooked to the new fixture and the copper wires tied together. I assumed the one is coming from an outlet on the bathroom wall and the other romex is going to the light switches on the other wall. Also when you plug something in to the outlet on the wall the appliance wont work. I have tested both light switches and the outlet for current and they all have 110 volts. What could the problem be? Many thanks for any help.
jcfan7

jcfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Electrician

Did you change the splice??? If so that is the problem... If not then you have a totally unrelated problem, so the million dollar question is, did you change the splice? and if so why?

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #3

I'm sorry but, I don't know what you mean by change the splice.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Remodeler

jcfan,
When you connected the new fixture you may have tied into the same circuit. If so it is probably a bad connection at the splice. Splice being the connection of the wires in the box. The ones you twisted together. Open it up and re install the wire nut properly making sure the wires are all in the wire nut.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Chris

I think he probably has an unrelated problem.

The wiring as he describes it would be a simple switch loop for the bathroom light. I'm not seeing how a hallway light would be getting power from the bathroom fixture. Is there something you see that effects the hallway light that I am missing?

My guess is he has a neutral opened on the hallway light circuit. Maybe you have said the same thing.... I'm just making it too hard.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Chris

I think he probably has an unrelated problem.

The wiring as he describes it would be a simple switch loop for the bathroom light. I'm not seeing how a hallway light would be getting power from the bathroom fixture. Is there something you see that effects the hallway light that I am missing?

My guess is he has a neutral opened on the hallway light circuit. Maybe you have said the same thing.... I'm just making it too hard.

yeah, I knew it was a simple switch loop, I'm just betting that if it really did stop after he changed the existing fixture there is either (A) something hes not telling us, (B) unrelated problem.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #7

IF there were only TWO romex cables, it sounds like it is unrelated (directly) to your work in the ceiling box.

Find out if anything else is affected and start pulling out switches/receps looking for a loose/bad connection.

I
Quote:
have tested both light switches and the outlet for current and they all have 110 volts
As always...... Safety first.

Hold everything. Did you check the light bulb?

How many wires in the hall sw box?

Last edited by 220/221; 01-18-2008 at 07:28 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

If it isn't the light bulb I hope you don't get your butt chewed like I did the last time I suggested that. It wasn't the bulb in that case and the guy thought I was calling him stupid......

But for Jcfans sake I hope your right.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #9

Yeah....how many times have you heard "It's NOT the bulb. I put a new one in"
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #10

220/221,
Yes I changed the bulb 2 different times and still the same results. I do welcome all suggestion no matter how simple.
I just got back from the house that has the light problem (it's out in the country and I live in the one in town) so I will have to go back tomorrow to check the hall sw box and see how many wires.
The reason I think that the light in the bathroom and the hall light switch are connected is because when I first started to change the fixture in the bathroom I only turned off the light switch in the bathroom instead of turning off the circuit breaker. As I was doing the wiring I touched something that gave me quite a shock!!! That's when I noticed that the hall light switch was on and the hall light was working. From that time on I made sure that I turned off the circuit breaker and tested for current before I touched any more wiring! :sweatdrops:
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Your power cable comes to the bathroom light fixture first then goes to the switch. By turning off the switch you only removed switched power but not constant incoming power in the fixture box. So you were working in the box with the incoming power still hot. Only the breaker is going to deenergize that constant hot wire.

See below diagram.

If there is a neutral in the hall switch box (not a switch loop like the bathroom) test the hot wire to the neutral (white) wire with the switch off. The white wire will not be connected to the switch, if so you have a switch loop. If the neutral is open somewhere you will not get a line voltage reading. If you do get line voltage then problem is probably at the light fixture box. If no neutral and it is a switch loop drop the fixture and look for a bad neutral connection, if you don't find one then test the hot incoming power black to the white neutral. Tell us the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Hall light worked before installing a new light fixture in bathroom-switch-loop.jpg  

Last edited by Stubbie; 01-19-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #12

Stubbie,
I will check this out when I go out there today. I will give you a report.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #13

Did you replace an existing light fixture or is this a completely new fixture?

Can you describe what the wiring was like before you started? You must have commandeered a wire from something else to feed the new light or its switch.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #14

Heh heh...anoher reason why they call it a suicide switch

Also....alway check a fixture with a KNOWN good bulb. Screw it in somewhere else or test continuity.

Last edited by 220/221; 01-19-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
Union HVAC Tech.

You have 110v at the recepticle but it won't power an appliance, what are you testing it with?

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote