DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Half-size breakers

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nap 
#1 ·
I need to add a break to a box that has no available spaces. I agree that the proper thing to do is to replace the box, but due to time and money I would really like to avoid it right now (though I plan to replace it in the future, just not right now). I would like to know if anyone can help me to determine if the box can accept half size breakers. It is a GE box model TP1212. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

See less See more
#3 ·
I concur with Jim. The 1212 refers to 12 spaces/12 circuits.

in a panel numbered something like 20/40, that would mean there are 20 full size spaces but you can end up with up to 40 circuits so that would mean you could used tandems in every slot. Some panels are designed to use no tandems, part of the slots are acceptable for tandem use, or all slots are acceptable for tandem use.

the literature on the panel cover will also list the types of breakers acceptable for use in that panel. I suspect you will not see any tandem breakers listed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.