Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Share |

half hot help

I looked in a search and haven't found anyone asking this yet. I am installing a recirculator under my kitchen sink and I have everything hooked up, only problem is that the outlet for under the sink is controlled by a switch because its also being used for the garbage disposal. So, I am thinking of making that outlet a "half hot" I believe it's called. Can anyone please advise me on how or if I can do this myself? Thanks for any help. Be advised I am as novice as it gets, so, I am ok with having steps explained to me as if I am a child.

JamesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #2

half hot help

There are brass strips connecting the two halves of a duplex receptacle. Break the connection between the hots and you have two single receptacles. You will need to run always hot to one and switched to the other. You could share neutrals if local code allows, but i would run two seperate circuits, and break both the hot and neut tabs.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

half hot help

Depending on how that outlet was wired, it may or may not be a simple thing to change to a split-wired one.

IF the switch is a 2-wire switch loop, it's a simple matter of rewiring the outlet itself. If the feed originates at the switch, you'll have to run another line under there for an outlet that is always on.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #4

half hot help

YOu will need to use a voltmeter and verify that you have an always hot wire entering that outlet box, otherwise you would have to string more wires.

When attaching the existing always hot wire to one half of the receptacle (and breaking the tab between the halves) you must use the neutral that accompanies it and is probably already attached to the other side of the receptacle and not break the tab on that side.

When stringing a new cable for always-hot power you must attach the neutral from the new cable to the other side of the receptacle also and break the tabs on both sides.

If you break a tab off the receptacle but really did not want to, then cut two short lengths of wire (pigtails) and attach one to each screw. Use a wire nut to connect both pigtails to the wire that wants to go to those screws.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-01-2011 at 08:38 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote