Half Of Double Plug Outlet Blows Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
sjt

Rewards Points: 10

Half of double plug outlet blows breaker

I have a wall plug with two outlets. Anything plugged in the top half blows the breaker. The bottom half is fine. The box is one of 5 in a circuit. There is nothing plugged in to the other 4. I removed the plug and checked the connections on the wires leading into the box. There is one wire coming in and one going out of the box. They are tied together with what appear to be good connections with a pigtail coming out for the outlet. I changed the outlet itself, thinking something may have gone wrong with it, but have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

sjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

this happend to my uncle as well he had 5 outlets on a circuit the only double outlet in the circuit kept blowing breaker all others worked fine. same as you changed the outlet 2 times still no luck....come to find out a mouse actually chewed a small section of the wire back in the wall causing this.there was almost no visible damage to the wire.so we re wired and not a problem anymore....hope this helps..we live out int he country around corn fields and when they cut them down mice scatter everywhere...almost always 1 or 2 get in the home and some times cause these problems!

Advertisement

Last edited by rollinastang; 05-20-2011 at 10:23 AM.
rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
sjt

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinastang View Post
this happend to my uncle as well he had 5 outlets on a circuit the only double outlet in the circuit kept blowing breaker all others worked fine. same as you changed the outlet 2 times still no luck....come to find out a mouse actually chewed a small section of the wire back in the wall causing this.there was almost no visible damage to the wire.so we re wired and not a problem anymore....hope this helps..we live out int he country around corn fields and when they cut them down mice scatter everywhere...almost always 1 or 2 get in the home and some times cause these problems!

I may not have used the right terminology with my post. To clarify, I have a single box with an outlet that accepts two plugs. The top half blows the breaker, the bottom half is fine.
sjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

If you press on the top half with your thumb (without plugging anything in), does that trip the breaker?

The bare ground wire might be touching something it shouldn't.

There could be a manufacturing defect or a bent part inside that makes a short circuit contact when you insert a plug, or when you just press on the receptacle.

There could be a defect in the cable, perhaps where the sheathing was cut to peel off of the last 6 inches of wires entering the box and bare wire was exposed.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-20-2011 at 12:08 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

If a multibranch circuit (one half of outlet on one breaker; other on another) there may be an overload or as previously discussed issues with that part of the circuit.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote