Guitar Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Guitar switch

I've done my fair share of guitar wiring, however I'm doing something different. Long story short, I basically need a switch with six positions that in the first position connect pickup one, the second position connects pickups one and two, third position connects pickup two, fourth connects pickups two and three, fifth connects pickup three, and sixth position connects pickup four. i figured i would do it with diodes but I'm not sure if this will work or how i should do it, what size diodes i need or anything else.

If you know how to go about doing this a few words would be helpful if not a wiring diagram.

Advertisement

MarshallC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,050

Guitar switch

You would not use diodes but you would need a two pole (two wafer) six position (probably rotary) switch. Each switch position selects one lug from each wafer, the chosen lugs are always one behind the other. Each position connects one pickup from each wafer (or one pickup from one wafer and no pickup from the other wafer).

I take it that both chosen pickups go to the same amplifier input in which case the common terminals of the two wafers are tied togehter to become the hot line (center conductor of the coax cable).

For example, the second pickup is used in both the second and third switch positions so you connect it (using a jumper wire) to the second and third lugs of one of the wafers.The first pickup is used in both the first and second positions so you connect it to the first and second lugs of the other wafer. This way no two pickups are connected to each other except during the switch positions where both pickups are to be used at the same time.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-05-2011 at 02:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bass , guitar , switch , wiring