Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |

Guidance needed with existing wiring - Ceiling fan install

Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to install a ceiling fan in my son's room to prep for the unexpected March heatwave in Boston. My house was built in 1950 and my walls and ceilings are lathe and plaster. When I removed the existing light fixture I discovered a round-ish metal (iron?) plate about 3x1/2" that the 4 runs of AC cable were attached to with screws. When I removed this plate from the ceiling there was a long metal bar crossing the opening, the plate was secured to this bar by a screw. I'd like to install the proper electrical box but I don't know how to remove this bar without disrupting (ruining) the surrounding plaster. This bar appears to be embedded between 2 pieces of lathe and when looking at this from above through the attic floor, appears to be secured on either side to the 1x2 that the lathe is attached to. I'm guessing this is how electrical boxes were secured back then when their wasn't a joist? Any ideas on how to cleanly get it out of there? Attached are a few pics...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Guidance needed with existing wiring - Ceiling fan install-bar.jpg   Guidance needed with existing wiring - Ceiling fan install-box-bar-copy.jpg  

rickkrause2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

The bar is probably fasten between two joists.
Probably something like this except right on the bottom of the joist.

Ravenworks (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Hi Joe - thanks for the response. I pulled up the attic floor to get a look from above and interestingly this brace runs parallel to the joists. I can't see if/where it is fastened but it looks like it's fastened to a 1x2 that does run from joist to joist. I'm familiar with the brace in the picture and this is not what I have. What I have is definitely original to the house. I think my only option is to cut it out but I just don't know how.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

To cut it I would use something like cutting wheel in a dremmel or go big and use an angle grinder with an .040 cutting disk. Keep an extinguisher very close. There will be sparks. No pounding that will loosen the plaster.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. The dremmel wasn't in the budget this time around so I ended up (gently) hitting it with the reciprocating saw. Thanks for the tip!