DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Grounding wire on roof (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/grounding-wire-roof-189149/)

archsteve 10-23-2013 11:19 PM

Grounding wire on roof
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I had a new 200amp service installed. They ran a grounding wire through my attic to the hot water heater in the garage. The problem is that the garage attic and house attic are separate by a wall. So, the guys went up through the roof, ran the ground over the roof, and then back down into the garage. I don't understand why they did not go through the wall, to avoid two roof penetrations and an annoying looking wire on the roof. Any suggestions here, can I tuck that thing back in, or is there a reason they did it this way?

I am attaching a picture of what I am talking about. There is a second line in the shot, but that is a drain from my cooler.

Thanks for the advice.

-Steve

k_buz 10-23-2013 11:25 PM

Yeah...not legal or professional in any way. Was this a real electrical contractor or someone off of Craig's List? Is there a permit? Show the inspector.

Craig's List + problems + no permit = nothing good

archsteve 10-23-2013 11:35 PM

Reputable solar panel installer
 
This was actually a reputable solar panel installer in my city, Las Cruces, NM. They have great reviews on angieslist. You think this violates code? Wow.

Definitely a permit was pulled, or was supposedly pulled. They have to get it approved by all the different agencies for me to get tax credit.

gregzoll 10-23-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archsteve (Post 1257383)
This was actually a reputable solar panel installer in my city, Las Cruces, NM. They have great reviews on angieslist. You think this violates code? Wow.

Definitely a permit was pulled.

Does not look like they are that reputable, if doing workmanship like that. As for Angieslist, that is worse than Craigslist. Forget about what reviews you see on Angieslist, due to 99.99% are staged, just like you see on yelp.com or Fleabay.

I would be calling the city and dropping the company's name with the AHJ, and have then go check any other sites that they have pulled this with.

If it first glance, it looks more like Lightning protection, then a Earthing or bonding ground.

k_buz 10-23-2013 11:41 PM

I can't think of a actual NEC code that it violates (assuming they used #4) except 110.12.

Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Make sure you are home for the inspection, and make sure the inspector sees what is laying on your roof.

archsteve 10-23-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 1257387)
I can't think of a actual NEC code that it violates (assuming they used #4) except 110.12.

Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Make sure you are home for the inspection, and make sure the inspector sees what is laying on your roof.

I will definitely get this looked at. Thanks for you input here!

gregzoll 10-23-2013 11:47 PM

That besides tripping hazard if someone was to go up there and work on the roof for some reason, or the possibility of Lightning attraction if storms roll through, or from Static Discharge during Dust Storms.

Philly Master 10-24-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1257391)
That besides tripping hazard if someone was to go up there and work on the roof for some reason, or the possibility of Lightning attraction if storms roll through, or from Static Discharge during Dust Storms.


I guess anyone that uses COPPER flashing, copper covers over the vent pipes or COPPER GUTTERS is screwed then HUH ??? or the many many houses that the vent pipe is actually COOPER PIPE sticking out of the roof !!!! :laughing:

stickboy1375 10-24-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly Master (Post 1257411)
I guess anyone that uses COPPER flashing, copper covers over the vent pipes or COPPER GUTTERS is screwed then HUH ??? or the many many houses that the vent pipe is actually COOPER PIPE sticking out of the roof !!!! :laughing:

How about a copper metal roof...:) very common around here.

stickboy1375 10-24-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archsteve (Post 1257377)
Hi all,

They ran a grounding wire through my attic to the hot water heater in the garage.
-Steve

Not even sure why they went to the water heater????

Philly Master 10-24-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 1257427)
How about a copper metal roof...:) very common around here.


Due to the potential electrical,shock hazard ... All residential customers with this dangerous condition in the home should buy a Tesla Suit to protect ,themselves and wear during storms ........



http://tb3.com/tesla/mol/ct/50816540.jpg

Philly Master 10-24-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 1257428)
Not even sure why they went to the water heater????



So they could jump the hot and cold water lines'. :thumbsup:

archsteve 10-24-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 1257387)
I can't think of a actual NEC code that it violates (assuming they used #4) except 110.12.

Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Make sure you are home for the inspection, and make sure the inspector sees what is laying on your roof.

Just spoke with the inspector. He says he can't get them on this because there is no standard for 110.12. So, basically its time to work with the contractor directly, and see if they will fix it.

mpoulton 10-24-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archsteve (Post 1257520)
Just spoke with the inspector. He says he can't get them on this because there is no standard for 110.12. So, basically its time to work with the contractor directly, and see if they will fix it.

I concur with the inspector. I don't think this installation is an electrical code violation. It is pretty lame and hacky though, and I would not pay a contractor for that kind of work. It creates the potential for roof leaks down the road, unnecessarily. Any roof penetration which is not absolutely required should be avoided.

k_buz 10-24-2013 12:53 PM

I'd next try the building Dept, then the fire dept. i'm sure the fire chief would like to know about a trip hazard when his guys have to go up there if there was ever a fire.

If you can't tell, I disagree with your inspector.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved