Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

grounding wire

does anyone know if you can use thhn/thwn for a grounding wire buried directly in the earth? i am going toruneither 1/0 al or 2 xlpe cu and need to rund a grounding wire...i heard you could even use a bare for the grounding wire...any input will be appreciated...thanks

marty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,232

grounding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty56 View Post
does anyone know if you can use thhn/thwn for a grounding wire buried directly in the earth? i am going toruneither 1/0 al or 2 xlpe cu and need to rund a grounding wire...i heard you could even use a bare for the grounding wire...any input will be appreciated...thanks

Whatever you use must have direct burial written on the outside jacket of insulation.

No you cannot use Thhn/Thwn ... Thwn is wet rated for using inside buried conduit but it is not rated for direct burial.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #3

grounding wire

thanks....someone at an electrical supply said you could use thhn for the grounding wire or even a bare wire....buried directly...didnt think that was right...but didnt know...
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,008

grounding wire

Are you asking about the EGC (equipment grounding conductor) or the GEC (grounding electrode conductor)?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

grounding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Are you asking about the EGC (equipment grounding conductor) or the GEC (grounding electrode conductor)?
I was wondering the same thing.

I hope they (the NEC) clarify the whole bonding/grounding thing soon. When a DIY says "the ground wire" no one knows what they are talking about until they explain it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
J. V. (01-14-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,452

grounding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Whatever you use must have direct burial written on the outside jacket of insulation.

No you cannot use Thhn/Thwn ... Thwn is wet rated for using inside buried conduit but it is not rated for direct burial.
If the OP is asking about a GEC, it seems contradictory that a bare conductor be allowed, but an insulated one would need to be listed for direct burial.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

grounding wire

i am running 1/0 al 150 feet.. (total..breaker to beraker)..100 amp service...direct burial ...its triplex and need to run a grounding wire with it and float the neutral at the subpanel...was told at a electrcial supply house you could run bare copper or thwn...i think im gonna try to find #4 use ... for the grounding wire and be done with it...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

grounding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
If the OP is asking about a GEC, it seems contradictory that a bare conductor be allowed, but an insulated one would need to be listed for direct burial.
I would argue that it's a bare conductor sleeved in plastic.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,094

grounding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty56 View Post
i am running 1/0 al 150 feet.. (total..breaker to beraker)..100 amp service...direct burial ...its triplex and need to run a grounding wire with it and float the neutral at the subpanel...was told at a electrcial supply house you could run bare copper or thwn...i think im gonna try to find #4 use ... for the grounding wire and be done with it...
Do the wire manufactures not make a direct burial 4 conductor cable that will fit your needs? The equipment grounding conductor (EGC) is a very important conductor (more important than the hots IMO) and I would want that protected as well as the other conductors. I'm not sure you can even run the EGC outside of the cable assembly.

Last edited by zappa; 01-14-2012 at 06:27 AM.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #10

grounding wire

i called several places....quad plex they dont have....need to call a few more places i guess....rather use that...but if not...ill run triplex 1/0 al with a #4 al use...grounding wire with it....thanks

Tags
grounding wire