Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Grounding - Tie-in Question

Hey everyone, I need some help. I have two outlets in my kitchen cabinets that are about 1 foot apart, and one is grounded, one is not. Both outlets have three wires, black, whtie, and green, it's just the voltage checker said the right outlet (Outlet #2) is not grounded. The two outlets are on different circuits (I had to turn off different breakers at the main panel).
So, I'm hoping I can pig-tail in a 14-gauge wire from the grounded Outlet #1 to the Outlet #2, with the new grounding wire hanging between the wall and cabinet.
Will this create proper grounding to the ungrounded outlet, and will it be safe and/or to code? It won't be a problem with the two outlets being on different circuits, correct? The two pictures show what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Grounding - Tie-in Question-elec_1.jpg   Grounding - Tie-in Question-elec_2.jpg  

kyletke320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Electrician

I would trace outlet # 2 back and find out where the problem is.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Insted of cobbling it together, try find out where the problem is.

I would first test it with another tester, not the plug in kind. One lead to black, one lead to ground = 120V

The green wire come from somewhere. Open a few close jboxes,receps,switches on that circuit and find out where it has become disconnected.

Quote:
Will this create proper grounding to the ungrounded outlet, and will it be safe and/or to code?

Proper is a relative term.

Safe, yeah.

Code compliant, no.

At least attempt to repair it properly.

Last edited by 220/221; 09-01-2009 at 07:19 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I'll third the sentiment.

Do it right and find the problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #5

I'll see if I can. The house was built in 1958, so I don't know if the wiring was correct when we moved in. Second, we remodeled the kitchen, and had a contractor install the cabinets and move some outlets around, including the two in question. So either he didn't hook something up correctly, something came loose somewhere else, or that circuit was never grounded.
So I guess ultimately what I'm hearing is to get an electrician to check/fix the wiring to do it the right way.
kyletke320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
So either he didn't hook something up correctly, something came loose somewhere else, or that circuit was never grounded.

He very likely extended an ungrounded circuit.

Quote:
So I guess ultimately what I'm hearing is to get an electrician to check/fix the wiring to do it the right way.
Not really.

Stealing a ground from the other recep isn't a deadly sin.

Another option would be to replace the ungrounded recep with a GFCI recep and it will be all good and legal.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote