Grounding Sub Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Grounding Sub Panel

I want to replace the old Stab Lok sub panel in my detached cottage with a new Square D. I notice that the Square D has no ground buss. Is it OK to add a buss to the panel?
The existing panel only holds two breakers with the grounds from the service wires simply twisted together. There is no ground rod. I will run a proper ground rod and wire to the new panel.


jmccue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
jproffer's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,406
Rewards Points: 716

If it's a detached structure, they'll all be together anyway, but yes if you need more room you can add a grounding bar. The ground and nuetral will be bonded anyway if you're adding a ground rod, as you should and have said you are.


jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Stubbie's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,341
Rewards Points: 2,652

Whether or not the detached structure needs a ground bar in the square d panel is dependent on the feeder to the detached cottage sub-panel.

If it has a 3 wire feeder and no metal water pipes or raceways etc connecting the house to the cottage then the sub-panel ground and neutral bars are bonded or are simply the same bar and grounds and neutrals are terminated together on that bar. You would install the green bonding screw in your new square d panel.

If the feeder is four wires then the ground and neutral are seperated at the sub-panel. This will require you to buy a seperate ground bar for the square d panel and install it to the can of the panel utilizing the predrilled holes. You would not install the green bonding screw square d uses in its bonding design. The grounds will go to the ground bar and neutrals to the neutral bar/bars. A 4 wire feeder will be required if any metal connects the main structure to the cottage.

Ground rods are required for your situation.

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This doesnt seem right. JoulesWinfield Electrical 27 07-26-2009 07:40 PM
NEC Question Jafsvcs Electrical 1 06-13-2007 05:45 PM
advice on installing equipment grounding bar in main panel pacifier1er Electrical 5 05-29-2007 05:55 PM
grounding for sub panel aarons600rr Electrical 3 04-17-2007 08:04 PM
Splice in Neutral to Panel - OK or Not? allpraisebob Electrical 4 08-12-2006 05:54 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1