DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Grounding rod required? (

swami101 07-11-2012 05:07 AM

Grounding rod required?
Do I need a grounding rod for a subpanel attached to my house but on the opposite side from my main panel? about 40 ft across

mpoulton 07-11-2012 05:59 AM

As long as it's attached to the same structure, no. You only need rods if the subpanel is in a detached structure.

swami101 07-11-2012 05:49 PM

Thank you.

Julius793 07-12-2012 10:52 PM

I assume it will be fed with 4 wires is that correct?

bf514921 07-12-2012 11:02 PM

thinking your find, if its fed with 4 wire/220. Where i live a few monthes ago i hired an electrician to replace my main panel and re-use of existing panel as a sub panel in my garage. Inspector cam spendt some time looking and signed off. It has #6 wire running to it. It is 50 am service, i think the run is about 40 ft. but that is acceptable where i live. no new grounding rod was needed, however when i hd my main box upgraded, they added a ground to my water pipe and 2 new ones on m yard.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.