Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Grounding rod questions

When connecting two ground rods together (placed a minimum of 6 feet apart)..using #6 ground wire (for 200amp) can the copper be #6 stranded as well as #6 solid that connect the two rods? (IE: Can EITHER one be used?)
Also, does the ground clamp connection and rod get completely buried or does the ground clamp need to be exposed?

jodejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Electrician

Grounding rod questions

Either solid or stranded. The run from the panel to the first electrode must be continuous, without splices. The run from the first electrode to the second can be a separate piece of wire, if you wish, but doesn’t have to be. If you do that, you’d have to use 3 ‘acorn’ clamps…1 for each termination on the rods. Personally, I run from the panel to the first rod, loop it, and run to the second rod, terminating with a single ground rod clamp (acorn) at each. No splices, and still maintain the listing of the clamp of only one wire being retained by the clamp.

The top of the rod has to be flush with or below the grade. Usually I put it a couple inches below grade, but leave it exposed for the inspector to see, then bury it afterwards.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Electrician

Grounding rod questions

Also, the #6 will require protection if subject to physical damage. Usually between where it exits the building and enters the ground.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Grounding rod questions

Thanks . So then because you use a continuous ground wire.. start-to-finish..I am assuming it can be either #6 solid OR stranded from the main panel as well? Is one preferred over the other..and why?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Electrician

Grounding rod questions

I’m not sure what you mean by “from the main panel as well”.

Not really any advantage of one versus the other. Both work. The supply house usually stocks bare stranded, so that’s what we use.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

Grounding rod questions

In reply to:I’m not sure what you mean by “from the main panel as well”.

My initial question was specifically the connection between the two ground rods....not the connection between the Main load center in the house and the first ground rod. Hope that clears that up. Would like to thank you very much for taking the time to answer all the questions and sharing your knowledge. Greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Electrician

Grounding rod questions

Ah…Gotcha. Now I understand. I’m just used to doing both at once, when adding a service or doing an upgrade.

& You’re very welcome.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #8

Grounding rod questions

Jumping in here, when you run the wire between each rod to you just bury below ground along the foundation or do you go back into the wall? What method to you use to run the wire thru the wall into the box?
cfinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Electrician

Grounding rod questions

From rod to rod, (and what I can...building to first rod too) I make a trench about ¾ shovel head deep. Put the shovel in, jump on it, wiggle it back and forth, and get a trench about 6 to 10 inches deep. Depends on the soil. There’s no required burial depth for the GEC, unless your local area requires a certain depth, but you do have to be aware of it being subject to damage, so you have to plan a route accordingly. They may be times where it’s wise to route it back to the foundation, then to the next rod, but rarely would you find it necessary to go back inside the structure first.

Method of getting the wire through the wall? Depends. For example, my father-in-laws pole barn, I stapled it to the pole post and exited at floor level between the 2X4 and the rib of the steel siding. He covered the wall with OSB afterwards. Worked perfectly, as it entered the ground almost immediately. Typically on a house with the panel inside…I drill a hole to the inside and use ½” PVC conduit to protect the run down the siding to the dirt, with an LB at the top and a short section of ½” going through the drilled hole.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
cfinn1 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #10

Grounding rod questions

very helpful, thanks!!!

cfinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote