Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Share |

Grounding requirement for 100A subpanel

Hi:

I live in Michigan

I'm installing a 100A subpanel for a kitchen remodel fed off a 100A breaker in the main panel.

I understand that the ground and nuetral should NOT be bonded in the subpanel - only in the main panel.

I'm using #2 copper THHN cable to feed the subpanel (2 hots and one neutral)

I have a couple questions:

1) What size ground wire is required for a 100A subpanel (from main panel ground to subpanel ground)? I know #2 THHN is likely overkill for the ground and I'd like to save some money if it is safe to do so.

2) If I use uninsulated ground wire, will I have problems with corrosion against the rigid conduit, or is insulated ground cable preferred?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

blakeasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Your post indicates you are using metallic raceway between panels. This would suffice as your equipment grounding. Personally, I would add a #8 copper equipment grounding conductor, either bare or insulated.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Electrical Supplier

How far away from the main panel is the subpanel?

To directly answer your downsizing question, you are allowed to down size your ground to 70% ampacity rating of the Current Carrying Conductor Rating (Hots) as long as it is larger than 10 AWG. Yes, #2 IS DEFINITELY OVERKILL

Assuming what I do know, if you use the metal conduit, THAT is your ground, however I would use grounding insulating bushings at both ends if you decide on this route. They are tied into your ground bar with a piece of bare copper at both ends.

I would avoid rigid metal conduit in residential rework, but thats me.

Also, you can get by with #3 THHN-2 for your Hots and Neutral. If you dont mind downsizing the panel to 90 amps, #4 will work for that.

From my understanding if you run any subpanel, it MUST have separate Ground and neutrals.....(Isolated)

I would go with 6 or 8 Insulated THHN if you decide to run a wire. (This is what I personally would do at my house..) In all honesty, the cost savings on a short run will be extremely negligible.

FYI If you are pulling a permit on this, get with your Inspector and check to see if he allows using Phase Tape on your wires or if you have to have a colored jacket.

Your AHJ/Inspectors ALWAYS have the final say on ANY electrical code issue.
If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote