Grounding Questions - Electrical - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #31
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Sparkies can tell.
Forgot that term but remember loving it! Thanks.

I suspect our help is lost on this guy. He did remind that idiots can think they know about electricity and especially how to melt with it.

Dude scared me.

We cannot save them all I guess.


Advertisement


Last edited by user1007; 09-08-2011 at 03:13 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #32
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Forgot that term but remember loving it! Thanks.

I suspect our help is lost on this guy. He did remind that idiots can think they know about electricity and especially how to melt with it.

Dude scared me.

We cannot save them all I guess.

While I understand your point, I feel the term "idiot" may be inappropiate.
Inexperienced seems to suffice for now. We all gotta learn and such remarks can be hurtful. Just my opinion.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


are you guys really that unhappy with your lives that you need to down someone who is trying to LEARN? this is a waste of my time, i have plenty of experience wiring things like water heaters, receptacles, switches, ac units, that kind of stuff but where i did not see much hands on experience is with the main service cables. I did alot of remodel work instead of new construction so I just didnt get to do it much and its been a couple years since i did trade work anyways. For the love of god i am only 20, anyone you ask is going to think its some kind of an accomplishment that someone that young even has any know how in the electrical field in todays generation. How did you learn anything? did you automatically know it or did someone tell you some key information? i dont know why everyone is being so rude about my credentials and what im trying to learn. i didnt say i was a professional, i am just pursuing the interest. if you have nothing to post that is relevant to what i want to know then remove yourself from my post because it is insensible to waste your time blabbing about pointless things.
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #34
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBat910 View Post
are you guys really that unhappy with your lives that you need to down someone who is trying to LEARN? this is a waste of my time, i have plenty of experience wiring things like water heaters, receptacles, switches, ac units, that kind of stuff but where i did not see much hands on experience is with the main service cables. I did alot of remodel work instead of new construction so I just didnt get to do it much and its been a couple years since i did trade work anyways. For the love of god i am only 20, anyone you ask is going to think its some kind of an accomplishment that someone that young even has any know how in the electrical field in todays generation. How did you learn anything? did you automatically know it or did someone tell you some key information? i dont know why everyone is being so rude about my credentials and what im trying to learn. i didnt say i was a professional, i am just pursuing the interest. if you have nothing to post that is relevant to what i want to know then remove yourself from my post because it is insensible to waste your time blabbing about pointless things.
Easy fella, point blank: if you want to enter our field, you play by our rules. I will gladly point in the direction to enhance your learning and sharpen your skills, but as Yoda says: patience you must learn, yes.

I was installing 1200 amp 3 phase 480y/277 services while you were dumping diapers. you are not there yet, but you could be.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


i completely understand you may have more experience than me but there is no reason to ridicule someone as you all have done me. the reason why i signed up for this forum is because its the DIY forum, the other forum said to sign up here because the other was for more advanced professionals. so im here and its my thread so its my rules, and my rules are simple...if you have the input about my questions and would liek to answer them then alright but if it pertains to anything other thats considered hijacking a thread. the fact that i have been mocked here does not settle well with me and im a very easy going individual but there is just so much a person can take. i want to learn and although i may have been dumping diapers when you were installing 1200 amp services you still had to learn at one point too and didnt know as much as others. im not trying to single you out but it seems like the only people that are jumping into this thread are to join in ridiculing me which im not going to have. if it persists ill just delete my account and delete this thread.
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


but really, i am wanting to get along with everyone. i dont like getting started on the wrong foot and especially on forums. i value the information i could learn but youll have to excuse me for venting a little, it happens. i dont mean for anyone to be offended from me but i just got pushed to that point. but if we can put this behind us and move on...earlier when i mentioned 3 and 4 wires between meter and panel i meant to say it was a combination power panel i was referring to. in the top on the line side you would hook the 2 hots and nuetral to appropriate lugs and on the load side you would hook the 2 hots to the bottom lugs, the neutral to the neutral lug, and also the ground (which would make it 4 wires of course) to the lug next to the neutral right? from there the panel in the house should become a sub panel which you would need to separate the neutral and ground to the two different lugs and your good in there, also you would leave out the bonding screw right? back at the combination meter panel you would take your #6 bare ground and hook it in one of the terminals on the neutral bar right?? and from there down to the rods. please revise what i said to make it right if im wrong. if it were just a straight meter outside you would run a 3 conductor cable over into the main panel and what would you do with that other ground lug in the main panel? thanks
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #37
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBat910 View Post
i completely understand you may have more experience than me but there is no reason to ridicule someone as you all have done me. the reason why i signed up for this forum is because its the DIY forum, the other forum said to sign up here because the other was for more advanced professionals. so im here and its my thread so its my rules, and my rules are simple...if you have the input about my questions and would liek to answer them then alright but if it pertains to anything other thats considered hijacking a thread. the fact that i have been mocked here does not settle well with me and im a very easy going individual but there is just so much a person can take. i want to learn and although i may have been dumping diapers when you were installing 1200 amp services you still had to learn at one point too and didnt know as much as others. im not trying to single you out but it seems like the only people that are jumping into this thread are to join in ridiculing me which im not going to have. if it persists ill just delete my account and delete this thread.
I suppose I will leave. Thought you wanted to be an electrician and learn code. Guess not. Such things happen. A Diy forum will never make you a sparky. That is just the way it is.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #38
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Okay guys, lighten up. The OP's not on a pole with his Uncle's Kleins wanting to play sparky. There are no stupid questions, remember?

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #39
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBat910 View Post
earlier when i mentioned 3 and 4 wires between meter and panel i meant to say it was a combination power panel i was referring to.
Accuracy in the description is important because we cannot see your project.
in the top on the line side you would hook the 2 hots and nuetral to appropriate lugs and on the load side you would hook the 2 hots to the bottom lugs, the neutral to the neutral lug, and also the ground (which would make it 4 wires of course) to the lug next to the neutral right? from there the panel in the house should become a sub panel which you would need to separate the neutral and ground to the two different lugs and your good in there, also you would leave out the bonding screw right? back at the combination meter panel you would take your #6 bare ground and hook it in one of the terminals on the neutral bar right?? and from there down to the rods. please revise what i said to make it right if im wrong. if it were just a straight meter outside you would run a 3 conductor cable over into the main panel and what would you do with that other ground lug in the main panel?
What other ground lug are you referring to?
Looks good to me. Do you know why the grounding electrode conductor must be connected to the neutral bar?

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 09-08-2011 at 06:15 PM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


thanks for the response, i am referring to the other ground lug that in panels such as square d is located on the left attached to a ground bar. i am thinking that since you have inserted the bonding screw into the panel that the lug is no longer needed because this is a main panel and since you used the bonding screw you have linked the neutral and ground bars. it just threw me that there would be a lug not used but i guess it is there for 4 wire purposes. i actually do not know why the gec must be attached to the neutral, maybe it is the better source for grounding but i dont have a definite answer to that, so with that being said...why? haha what about the small lug next to the neutral lug in the main panel, what is that used for?
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #41
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,826
Rewards Points: 3,810
Default

Grounding Questions


He is right, not a lot of time to get much experience. Let alone leave out the time when workers comp rules would have made him ineligible for a lot of the work like using power tools or being on a construction site due to his age.

Quote:
I am only 20 years old but have been on the payroll of a HVAC/Electrical business since I could get a workers permit at age 14 and i was employed even before then doing this kind of work.
Quote:
I just didnt get to do it much and its been a couple years since i did trade work anyways. For the love of god i am only 20,
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


i know i am very young to have alot of hours but i got a workers permit at age 14 labeled as a "truck drivers assistant" this was the only way i was allowed to get a permit. i have been payed off of hvac/electrical pay stubs so my hours whether i did hvac which was the majority still count towards the electrcial requirements so thats fortunate for me. like i said before i dont have alot of time with main entry cables majority was switches, receptables, etc...in my state at age 16 you were allowed to step on a job site but i did anyways so thats how it went.
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


also i have no reason to lie on here, im not the type of guy that needs a pumped up ego before posting. yeah i may not have the most experience but i have done this work before and im not lying about the extent of it either. but anyways does everything i said above sound correct?
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #44
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Grounding Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBat910 View Post
thanks for the response, i am referring to the other ground lug that in panels such as square d is located on the left attached to a ground bar. i am thinking that since you have inserted the bonding screw into the panel that the lug is no longer needed because this is a main panel and since you used the bonding screw you have linked the neutral and ground bars. it just threw me that there would be a lug not used but i guess it is there for 4 wire purposes. i actually do not know why the gec must be attached to the neutral, maybe it is the better source for grounding but i dont have a definite answer to that, so with that being said...why? haha what about the small lug next to the neutral lug in the main panel, what is that used for?
The arrangement of bars and lugs in panels varies by manufacture. When set up as a main panel the branch circuit ground and neutral wires can be connected to the same bar but there are several condition related to this.
If the panel is a sub, then the branch circuit grounds and neutrals have to be separated.
Now, as far as the grounding electrode conductor, that is your homework assignment.....
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Grounding Questions


alright im pretty sure i have a definite understanding of when to use 3 or 4 conductor cables and how they hook up. i just got home so i will find out why you need to hook the #6 bare ground to the neutral bar instead of the ground bar now..i know the specifications from when you actually bring the wire to the ground but am definitely not sure about the end inside the panel but i will do my best to find that out. thanks

Advertisement

ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
grounding questions firedude00 Electrical 9 01-24-2011 08:28 PM
Switch Box Grounding Questions MartinD Electrical 5 01-26-2010 10:00 PM
Sub Panel Grounding bar bmancanfly Electrical 12 05-24-2009 02:07 PM
Anyone want to take a shot at why #6 to attach antenna ground to breaker? Piedmont Electrical 44 01-08-2008 04:11 PM
NEC Question Jafsvcs Electrical 1 06-13-2007 05:45 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts