Grounding Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Grounding Question

Sorry i posted this to and old thread earlier by mistake but I have a situation where there is a open ground somewhere and all 4 outlets in a back bedroom are not grounded so i check all of them and cant see a problem so I put in a GFI outlet on the first one - I think anyway and it wont trip with my tester but where the gfi outlet is a privous H/O punched thru the wall to exterior to add an outside out let and its about 4feet to the metal water main So i ran a piece of wire over to it and clamp it on and pigtailed it to the existing ground and the GFI works and protecting all the other three outlets ? my question is would that be exceptable? and the outside outlet is in a metal switch box for exterior use can i simple drill a hole thru it and run the wire out to the water main and clamp it ? and what size copper wire would work ? its on a 15 amp circuit with 14 gauge wire now ?

Advertisement

MWHITLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

Grounding Question

A GFI will still trip with out a ground.

Will it trip if you hit the test button?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Grounding Question

No ? Only if its grounded ? and it wont reset if its not grounded - it a smart loc gfi from leviton if it makes any dif
MWHITLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Grounding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWHITLEY View Post
No ? Only if its grounded ? and it wont reset if its not grounded - it a smart loc gfi from leviton if it makes any dif
The presence of a ground makes no difference to the GFCI. Sounds like you may be feeding it on the load side. Check you connections against the directions that came with the GFCI.

Jeff
ElectricianJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Grounding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricianJeff View Post
The presence of a ground makes no difference to the GFCI. Sounds like you may be feeding it on the load side. Check you connections against the directions that came with the GFCI.

Jeff
Just wanted to add that if you are checking the GFCI with a tester than that is your problem. I don't own one but I believe they use the ground to imbalance and pop the gfi. Gfi's should only be checked with the test button provided on the device.

Also, running a seperate ground from a water pipe is not code. If the GFI is properly wired then you are good to go. Identify the downstream receps. with the "No equipment Ground" stickers provided and call it a day.

Jeff
ElectricianJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Grounding Question

The water pipe ground is not acceptable. Find the open ground and repair it. Or call in an electrician to find it for you. Mickey Mouse wiring can hurt someone. Please do it correctly.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Grounding Question

Quote:
Find the open ground and repair it. Or call in an electrician to find it for you.

Yeah....what he said.

It is generally EASIER to fix something right than it is to cobble it. I see it just about every single day and I cuss every single time. .

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote