Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

Grounding phone/cat5 surge surpressors

Hello, I am going to be purchasing items like this to protect my phone/dsl/and cat6 lines. I currently have a dsl splitter next to the phone nid with it's own ground tied to the main ground rod then have cat5 running into the office to supply the phone/dsl line. In the office is where the dsl modem and wireless phones are, and I want to add another layer of protection by adding those surge suppressors to the two phone lines and then another suppressor on the cat5 going out of the dsl modem. Those suppressors have a ground wire coming out of them which I will then connect to a ground block. What is the best way of connecting the ground block to the ground of an outlet? I have thousands of dollars in server equipment I need to protect not just a home pc. Thus the overkill. The electrical end is already protected by a server grade UPS, however the UPS has no phone/cat6 protection built in. Thank you!

c0c0c0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I have used some of these if you are using it at a desktop computer you can put the terminal under one of the screws of the computer case. I have also put the terminal under the metal screw of the receptacle cover but you have to make sure you have a good connection to ground or none of these ways will work.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0c0c0 View Post
Hello, I am going to be purchasing items like this I have thousands of dollars in server equipment I need to protect not just a home pc. Thus the overkill. The electrical end is already protected by a server grade UPS, however the UPS has no phone/cat6 protection built in. Thank you!
Cutler Hammer make stuff that will do everything in one shot,as well as most panel manufactures.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Thank you both very much!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

On the computer case is the easiest. Mostly this devices is something to make you feel good. You should never get a surge generated INSIDE the building big enough to do any damage. Mostly if it happens it is a lightning strike near the house. So first it must burn up your DSL modem, then your Router and then finally your PC. When you look at a commercial office where there are many 1000's of computers and switches there is no protect like this used at all other than maybe where it comes in the building.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Well if there is a commercial office where there are thousands of computers there is going to be a grounding circuit in the server room, so the lightning is isolated there.

I am not worried about a surge inside the building, I am worried about lightning traveling on the cat6 to my dsl modem then to my router then to my switchs and then to my pcs/servers/tvs/gaming consoles. I live in OK and have lived in Fl and I know what lightning can do and want to try to keep it from hiting my equipment as much as possible. If there is a suggestion you can make other than what I have already done then I am open to solutions.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If you are really worried maybe it would be best to make all the connections wireless. If you buy any surge protectors at all they should have a guarantee to replace anything they are protecting.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Do not use surge strips for your telephone or networking. As long ad it is properly grounded outside, you are fine. If you want to step it up a bit, you can use a Gas Discharge protector on the telephone and CATV lines, at the DeMarc's outside.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
you can use a Gas Discharge protector
I"ve been told I should have one of those....... or maybe the people around me should.....
Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0c0c0 View Post
I am worried about lightning traveling on the cat6 to my dsl modem then to my router then to my switchs and then to my pcs/servers/tvs/gaming consoles.
First you have assumed something will stop or block a destructive transient. Nothing does that as others have noted.

Second, you are thinking a box does some kind of protection. Boxes do not do protection.

Your protection is the single point earth ground. Those boxes only make a connection from each incoming wire to that protection. That protection is compromised if a connection is too long (ie more than 10 feet), has sharp wire bends, has splices, is bundled with other non-grounding wires, is inside metallic conduit, or is too close to electronics.

What defines quality of protection? Earth ground. How is protection made better? Upgrade the earthing. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Some of the best protection means no protector. For example, protection for a cable TV is a copper wire from that cable to earth. A breaker box and telco (installed for free) protector are only a secondary protection layer. That layer defined by the earth ground where all wires enter the building.

Also inspect your primary protection layer. An example of what to inspect:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html

Each layer of protection is defined only by what does the protection – earth ground. One hundred protectors connected to one earth ground is still a single layer of protection.

Last edited by westom; 05-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote