Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
I can fix that!

Share |

Grounding Panel at Old Pipe

I'm installing a new PEX water main and was considering leaving my old galvanized main stubbed into the basement and sticking 10-15' out into the yard so I can continue to use it as a ground. Does this make sense? I do not know yet if I have a second ground yet (new to me house and have not seen a grounding rod yet).

kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

You might as well just drive an 8' ground rod instead, I dunno if the water pipe would still count as a grounding electrode once it was no longer a water pipe. And if you don't already have a ground rod, drive two 8' ground rods.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

When you called your permit office, what did they state about it being okay? The only problem that I see, is you are seeing it as a ground, but in reality, it is not. It no longer bonds the rest of the water system, so in theory it is nothing more than a ground rod.

Suggest you review your local codes regarding that you are now using PEX vs. Copper, as to how to bond the panel internally, along with ground rod outside.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

Ah, yeah, I forgot the water pipe bond. If your internal water pipes are still metal, you still need a bonding wire between your main panel and water pipes.

Gregzoll's answer is the best though, your local inspection office can tell you exactly what they like to see in your area.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
I can fix that!

Thanks for the responses! I will be changing all the interior plumbing to PEX as well. My thought was that the old galvanized pipe could be used as one of the grounding rods. But yes, I will talk to my local inspector before doing anything.
kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #6

The pipe does not have to carry water to be a grounding electrode; what does count is that at least 10 feet of it are buried and it is not a gas pipe.

If, due to plastic pipe, the rest of the plumbing system is not bonded to ground, then you need to add a #6 jumper to the original metal pipe exiting the house or to the fat ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) from there to the panel.

In some cities ground rods are needed even if you have a water pipe as a grounding electrode.