Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #1

Share |

Grounding my new over-the-air HDTV antenna

I put up an antenna, actually took down an old one that was not grounded in any way, and put it back up with a new, smaller UHF/high VHF antenna that works great. I ran the coax into the house immediately, rather than going with "single point of entry" - sorry makes no sense considering location of my TV, and we're trying to keep the coax run very short.

Probably stupid question but, is there any reason I cannot put a coax grounding block right up by the antenna where the coax goes into the house, and run a single ground that grounds both the antenna mast and the coax to the electrical meter? As opposed to 2 separate runs.

What gauge should this be (we are talking about a 20-25ft run, no sharp turns or anything) and is it true it must be bare? I read 10 GA? Thicker is better I guess...

Last edited by pcampbell; 01-15-2009 at 08:14 AM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

You can, I did exactly that. I have my grounding wire that grounds the mast go through the coaxial grounding block at the point my coax enters the house then in my case my grounding wire goes to a grouding rod (because my antenna is on the opposite side of the house of the service entry, I then have a #6 copper wire from that grounding rod going through my house to the service so everythings at the same... forgot the word... charge or something as the service). It doesn't need to be bare, but the grounding wire has to be #8 aluminum or #10 copper.

Because my antenna is on the opposite side of the entry I had to have it go to a grounding rod, and then connect that grounding rod with #6 to the breaker panel. I'm almost certain the only thing you can't do is share a fastener to the grounding system, this grounding wire needs it's own clamp to attach to the wire/grounding rod. That is, if you attach it to an existing grounding rod, you can't use the existing acorn clamp that's already used to also attach this wire, you have to get another acorn clamp. So, you can have 2+ wires on a single grounding rod as long as each has its own clamp (usually called an acorn).

Last edited by Piedmont; 01-15-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

You can attach the grounding conductor from the grounding block to the existing wire connected to the ground rod. You do not have to go all the way to the rod. You can use a split bolt for this purpose.
You MUST tie into the existing service bonding conductor. (GEC) Look at the thread today regarding "satellite dish". This was discussed at length today.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote