Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

grounding metal junction boxes

Hello all,

I've been looking through the forum here and am a bit confused.

Are all metal junction boxes to always be grounded, with, or without a fixture attached? What if there are multiple circuits in that box?

There are metal boxes in the basement being used for splices.

Some have contain only one circuit and used simply for "distribution." These should definitely have a pigtail ground to the box itself, correct? This part I think I understand.

But, over near the new service, there are some 6" square boxes that were used to splice multiple cables to provide the length to get to the new panel. There are multiple circuits in these boxes. I've read that "all grounds in a box need to be tied together and grounded to the box" - that does apply, even though these grounds go to multiple circuits? Since the nit-wit that did this has none of them connected, and no ground connected to the boxes ... I thought I should find out for sure.

In one of those 6" boxes I'll wind up having to connect, I think, 9 12 gauge ground wires. What's the best way to connect that much copper together?

Surprisingly, all these boxes have covers. Considering everything else that is wrong ...

Thanks,
Jim

simanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

All metal boxes must be bonded to an EGC...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

nine #12 wires will fit in a large enough wirenut, probably one of the big blue or grey ones. Check the package for the number and sizes of wires permitted.

You can also split the grounds into two smaller groups, connected together by a short piece of #12.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
nine #12 wires will fit in a large enough wirenut, probably one of the big blue or grey ones. Check the package for the number and sizes of wires permitted.
And if you can't fit nine, spilt the bundle in half and bond everything together.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote