DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   grounding to a gas line (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/grounding-gas-line-29859/)

Jacques 10-13-2008 09:29 AM

grounding to a gas line
 
the cable guy was out to fix my service. after he left i noticed he grounded the cable line to a gas line. is this ok???

1610 CUB 10-13-2008 09:44 AM

Its NOT o.k. get him back and have move it to a water pipe

J. V. 10-13-2008 09:44 AM

No, Have them come back out and do it right. Preferably to the ground rod or ground rod conductor.

1610 CUB 10-13-2008 09:46 AM

Make him drive a 8' ground rod

Billy_Bob 10-13-2008 10:21 AM

Everything (electric, phone, cable TV, etc.) should be grounded to a single point of ground (the same spot).

rgsgww 10-13-2008 10:39 AM

Everything is supposed to be bonded together, is their any way you could pull a ground there?

J. V. 10-13-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgsgww (Post 171730)
Everything is supposed to be bonded together, is their any way you could pull a ground there?

This is correct. It should all go back to the main bonding at the service. The ground rod is the best way to be sure it is connected to the system. The potential needs to be the same for everything grounded in the dwelling and outside the dwelling.

Speedy Petey 10-13-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy_Bob (Post 171722)
Everything (electric, phone, cable TV, etc.) should be grounded to a single point of ground (the same spot).

This is not accurate. A grounding system is not restricted to one point. Many things can be bonded to any point on the GES (grounding electrode system).




Quote:

Originally Posted by 1610 CUB (Post 171705)
Its NOT o.k. get him back and have move it to a water pipe

Also, just bonding/grounding to a water pipe is not always correct or safe. Only certain portions of certain water piping systems are safe/correct to connect a ground/bond to.

Termite 10-13-2008 04:17 PM

The home's gas piping system is required to be bonded. This can be accomplished by a bonding conductor and a clamp, but is normally accomplished via metallic connection to the HVAC system, which has an equipment grounding conductor.

The gas piping system cannot be used as a grounding electrode however, like the water line often is.

I'm not too well-versed on cable TV wiring, but I imagine the installer is connecting to the gasline in an attempt to use it as a grounding electrode (in case of lightning, etc). Although it is bonded to the grounding system via the furnace, I don't think that it is a best-case means of doing this.

Billy_Bob 10-13-2008 04:44 PM

On a Central Grounding Point,
Google 1200 pages...
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&...22&btnG=Search

Speedy Petey 10-13-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy_Bob (Post 171857)
On a Central Grounding Point,
Google 1200 pages...
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&...22&btnG=Search

What's your point? Most of that is referencing electronic equipment.

There is NO "central grounding point" with regard to a building's AC wiring system.

Maybe you can point me to a more accurate description of what you are talking about, as opposed to 1200 Google hit pages. :whistling2:

chris75 10-13-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekctermite (Post 171851)

I'm not too well-versed on cable TV wiring, but I imagine the installer is connecting to the gasline in an attempt to use it as a grounding electrode (in case of lightning, etc). Although it is bonded to the grounding system via the furnace, I don't think that it is a best-case means of doing this.


Check out art 820.40(B)(1)

InPhase277 10-13-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1610 CUB (Post 171707)
Make him drive a 8' ground rod

And then what? What does this accomplish, exactly?

chris75 10-14-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 171989)
And then what? What does this accomplish, exactly?

I generally get a good workout when doing this, so I think its healthy to drive ground rods. :laughing:

Termite 10-14-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 171865)
Check out art 820.40(B)(1)

As I thought, he's going at this wrong by grounding coaxial's shield to the gasline and not the grounding electrode. Thanks for the code reference. That's definately one section I've never spent much time in.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved