Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Share |

grounding electrode conductor question

I'll be installing a new Siemens meter/main panel as part of a 200A service upgrade, and I had a question about how to run the gec. Because my main service disconnect will be in the meter/main panel, I think I understand that is where the main bonding jumper will be. I'll run a #4 copper grounding wire from the lug in the meter/main to my grounding rods. What would be the best way to bond my incoming water line with the gec? Can I run a #6 copper grounding wire from a clamp on my water line into the back of the meter main and land it under the same lug as the gec (I haven't looked to see if it has additional grounding lugs), or does it have to connect to the gec through other means, like a split bolt or another clamp on the grounding rod? Thanks for your help.

bsperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

You only need a #6 to the ground rods and a #4 for the cold water.

If you run a #4 to your rods then you can run the cold water to that. If you run a #6 to your rods then it needs to run back to your panel/main disconnecting means.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #3

Do you think it would be OK to run both my grounding wire from the water line and the ground rods into the meter/main panel and bond them together there? It would be a little bit neater than running the wire from the water line to the ground rod itself.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsperr View Post
Do you think it would be OK to run both my grounding wire from the water line and the ground rods into the meter/main panel and bond them together there? It would be a little bit neater than running the wire from the water line to the ground rod itself.

stay out of the meter base with the EGC's.

don't even run them through the meter base.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
stay out of the meter base with the EGC's.

don't even run them through the meter base.
Ummm .... he is using a Meter/Main, which contains both the meter socket assembly, and a main breaker. He has no choice but to originate his GECs from this piece of equipment.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Ummm .... he is using a Meter/Main, which contains both the meter socket assembly, and a main breaker. He has no choice but to originate his GECs from this piece of equipment.
all of them I have worked with, you still do not run the EGC through the meter section nor connect it within the meter section. You make all the EGC connections in the panel section of the unit.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #7

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that I would be making the connection between the bonding jumper from the water line and the egc to the ground rods inside the "panel" portion of the meter/main and not the meter section. I mainly just want know how I can make that bonding connection. I was looking at 250.64(F)(3) and it seems to say that I can make the connection with either a bus bar or a listed connector. I looked inside the panel portion of the meter/main, and it does have two separate lugs for grounding wires on the bonded neutral bus bar. So can I just land the egc from the ground rods under one lug and land the bonding jumper from the water line under the other lug and bond them that way?

Last edited by bsperr; 12-05-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

thanks for the clarification.

Yes, you can make all the connections at the terminal strip. In fact, due to the requirements of how you must make connections outside of the panel, that is usually the easiest method although you will have multiple EGC's running to the panel from wherever.

just connect each of the EGC's to a lug attached to the same terminal strip the neutral from the POCO is attached to. If your panel has a bonding screw in the panel (most do) be sure that is screwed all the way in so the panel box is also bonded.

One caution note: if you use conduit from the panel outward for the EGC's, use PVC. If you use metal conduit, you must use a bonding bushing or (some little fitting I cannot recall what they call it right now but it is about $10 if I remember correctly), at the end of the conduit. Not needed with PVC.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #9

Sweet! Thanks for the tip about pvc, because I did want to put the egc in conduit for a more finished look.