Grounding A Detached Pipe Frame Building In Rocky Ground - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

grounding a detached pipe frame building in rocky ground

I have a pipe frame "cabin" that i have installed a sub panel in...cabin is 500sq ft and pipe is set in 8 places...2-3ft in concrete...ground is too rocky to put rods in ground ( we had a hydraulic drill put in holes for pipe), i am trying to figure out if i need to run separate ground from sub panel and where/how to do it...ive been told "ok to ground to pipe frame" and also " do not ground to pipe frame"...have also read about a "grounding plate"...i have a 2ft length of 4" I Beam....would burying that 18-24" make a grounding plate?

Any help is appreciated...please no "drive a rod"...the area is almost solid took power company over an hour to drill for their service lines and there truck was huge...thx


Last edited by rmcmallen; 07-24-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: problem with quotation marks
rmcmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,790
Rewards Points: 240

You need to be more clear on your question and your description of the cabin.
Is this is a sub panel or a service panel?
It is not connected to any other structure?
Does the cabin reside by itself with no structure supplying the power?

If this cabin is supplied with power from another structure it requires a ground rod/rods and an ECG (ground wire) from the supply source/structure.
You might be able to use structural members in this case as the grounding electrode. Only your local inspector can allow or disallow this. Have you asked the local inspector?

What does (rod&quot) mean? Where are you located?


J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

grounding a building

sorry....the cabin is a stand alone building that is wired as a sub panel (the main panel is near the barn, approx 150 ft away). the wiring is 6ga (3 individual strands running about 250 ft of line from main panel), 70amp breaker at main panel....the sub panel is 125amp box with main breaker....

as i mentioned, unfortunately, driving a rod into the almost solid limestone is really not an option....i'd be lucky to dig 18-24 inches deep at best....i've been told i could ground to the actual pipe frame of building but i've also been told i can't ground that way...

the ground plate sounded like a possibility, but i won't be able to bury it much more than 18-24 inches at best....i was wondering if a 2 ft piece of 4 inch I beam would work (i read where the surface area of the grounding plate is the key)

anyway, i hope this gives you a better idea
rmcmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 3,045
Rewards Points: 2,990

You need to connect all the structural steel to the grounding system. That's important anyways. Whether the steel can count as the grounding electrode or not is a different issue. It probably cannot, according to code. You would technically require two ground rods or another approved grounding electrode. However, from a practical perspective, there's really no point. The steel structure will be a better grounding electrode by far than a couple of rods, and you might as well just use it.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
rmcmallen (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 7,971
Rewards Points: 1,548

Under some conditions (I'm not sure of the details) you can bury the two ground rods horizontally if you can't drive them vertically.

The metal structure needs to be bonded to the ground rods (using the #6 copper grounding electrode conductor) anyway and if it is a better ground then you are better off although the two rods satisfy the National Electric Code.
The good conscientious technician or serviceperson will carry extra oils and lubricants in case the new pump did not come with oil or the oil was accidentally spilled, so the service call can be completed without an extra visit.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 Amps for a garage help IcyShadowz Electrical 48 05-31-2012 10:58 PM
Do I need a ground rod to replace copper water pipe mfkcbk Electrical 10 11-11-2010 04:03 PM
Is yellow polyethelene or polyphenol gas pipe now the preferred gas conduit? MarkSilber Plumbing 1 09-18-2010 12:10 PM
grounding pole building sheet metal? borderbuster Electrical 2 07-08-2007 02:11 AM
Subpanel feeder questions Silhanek Electrical 4 03-22-2007 06:30 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1