Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

Grounding a Cut-off Box

I have to change the grounding at my house. What I plan to do is install a second ground rod, which I'll connect to the first existing ground rod, then to the panel and the incoming cold pipe.

My problem is that the outside 200A cutoff box is presently attached, via its ground bus, to the cold water pipe.
Is this where it's supposed to go????
If not then where?? What's the code on this?

Thanks in advance

capt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Electrician

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt2 View Post
I have to change the grounding at my house. What I plan to do is install a second ground rod, which I'll connect to the first existing ground rod, then to the panel and the incoming cold pipe.

My problem is that the outside 200A cutoff box is presently attached, via its ground bus, to the cold water pipe.
Is this where it's supposed to go????
If not then where?? What's the code on this?

Thanks in advance
WHy do you need to touch the grounding at your house when you dont understand it to begin with?

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #3

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Chris makes an excellent point...
If you've added something to your home's electrical system, you need the oversight of a professional that understands the answer to the question you're asking. Someone needs to look at the work to make sure it is safe.

Why do you have to change the grounding at your house?

If you have a main disconnect, that is where all your grounding and bonding takes place. The water line and driven rod's grounding electrode conductors originate at the main and go straight to the electrodes...Never to a downstream panel. The green bonding screw should be installed at the main disconnect.

Your panel(s) are effectively subpanels, and should therefore not have any grounding electrode conductors originating from them or going into them. The neutrals and grounds MUST be isolated, and NEVER bonded together. No green bonding screw either.

Don't think that you're doing yourself any favors or increasing the level of safety by adding grounds from subpanels. Quite the opposite.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #4

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Why do you have to change the grounding at your house?

Don't think that you're doing yourself any favors or increasing the level of safety by adding grounds from subpanels. Quite the opposite.
Here's the deal.....I'm upgrading. I'm putting in a standby generator, already have a permit, and was told by the AHJ to make sure all my panel grounds were correct as part of the process.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #5

Grounding a Cut-off Box

I've never seen a DIYer install a generator or the associated transfer gear. That is a big, complex job. Done incorrectly, a generator can backfeed the power service in an outage and can easily kill a lineman.
Grounding is the easiest part of that job.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #6

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Your main grounding is connected to the first disconnect after the meter. It sounds like all your gounding should be done in the main 200 disconnect outside. Everything after that is connected using a four wire feed and the neutral and ground are kept completely separate.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Electrician

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Your main grounding is connected to the first disconnect after the meter. It sounds like all your gounding should be done in the main 200 disconnect outside. Everything after that is connected using a four wire feed and the neutral and ground are kept completely separate.
Unless of course his transfer switch switches the grounded conductor.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #8

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I've never seen a DIYer install a generator or the associated transfer gear. That is a big, complex job. Done incorrectly, a generator can backfeed the power service in an outage and can easily kill a lineman.
Grounding is the easiest part of that job.
THis is my 2nd gen set installation. The other was working under a master. Stand by units are not difficult once you know what's what,
Including backfeed prevention which is built in with Guardians 7k and up.
I admit oddly though, main cuttoff brkrs were GREEK to me. I think I understand them now.

Thank you for all the replies
Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Electrician

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt2 View Post
THis is my 2nd gen set installation. The other was working under a master. Stand by units are not difficult once you know what's what,
Including backfeed prevention which is built in with Guardians 7k and up.
I admit oddly though, main cuttoff brkrs were GREEK to me. I think I understand them now.

Thank you for all the replies
I glad you fully understand Art. 702 just by watching 1 generator get installed... Best of luck to ya.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Cow

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I glad you fully understand Art. 702 just by watching 1 generator get installed... Best of luck to ya.
3 posts from Chris in one thread...... and none of them worthwhile. With Chris' attitude you'd have thought he was asking how to backfeed a dryer recep.

Apparently, it's DIYChatroom, "where you can ask any question, except how to properly ground a service."

He's got a permit, it's getting inspected, what's your hang up? Would you rather he not ask questions?
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Electrician

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
3 posts from Chris in one thread...... and none of them worthwhile. With Chris' attitude you'd have thought he was asking how to backfeed a dryer recep.

Apparently, it's DIYChatroom, "where you can ask any question, except how to properly ground a service."

He's got a permit, it's getting inspected, what's your hang up? Would you rather he not ask questions?

His first question made no sense, so yeah, i'm curious how he's going to pull this install off.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #12

Grounding a Cut-off Box

Cow, sometimes professionals feel it is negligent to give advice on some DIY installations if they/we feel that the OP is biting off more than they can chew. Sometimes it is more responsible to not answer the question, or to recommend seeking a professional electrician's in-person assistance. Based on the basic grounding question, there is reasonable doubt here.

Sadly...And I can't believe I'm saying this...Sometimes getting inspections doesn't guarantee that you'll get a correct job in the end. The town I live in is a fine example of that. Sometimes the inspector is a master of what he does, sometimes he's not.

You'll never see me giving advice to anyone who's DIY project involves installing a generator and transfer gear themselves, whether I feel they're able or not. Improperly installed generators don't just endanger the home's occupants, they kill unsuspecting lineman that think they're working on a dead power line. Not a DIY project in my opinion.

Although Chris may seem a little harsh and hasn't offered any direct advice, I feel he has what he feels is the OP's best interest in mind.