Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

Grounding CSST gas line

My metal gas line runs into the house in a finished basement. I can reach where the metal gas line is connected to the CSST. If I clamp the #6 ground wire on the metal pipe just before the CSST connection and run the ground to my bus panel, will that work or MUST the clamp on the metal pipe be on the outside of the house?

rjcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Grounding CSST gas line

The NFPA.org website has this info avail, if you want to read through firsthand. As for the bond, when you run back to the panel, in reality you are creating a loop. The bond needs to be tied I do believe to the grounding rod.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
rjcaster (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Grounding CSST gas line

The bonding wire from the gas pipe can be connected to (1) the neutral bus in the panel, (2) the ground rod, (3) the main water pipe where it is bonded to the electrical system, or (4) any of the fat ground wires (grounding electrode conductors) connecting the previous three. Whichever is most convenient.

You are bonding the gas piping in your house to the electrical system ground (rod and/or water pipe). The gas pipe itself exiting the house does not qualify as a grounding electrode.

No specific bonding wire is needed for the gas pipes if there is a gas appliance (furnace, etc.) that uses electricity and wired up with a proper ground wire back to the panel.

What is a CSST?

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-18-2011 at 10:35 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
rjcaster (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Grounding CSST gas line

Allan, I think that they are talking about the plastic sheathed gas piping, that likes to pinhole. Personally I would not touch the stuff, and still like the Black Iron.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Grounding CSST gas line

Corrugated stainless steel tubing gas piping must be bonded as per the tubing manufacturer. Either from the iron piping it is connected to or from the brass fitting of the tubing back to the electrical panel. Do NOT attempt to bond the corrugated tubing itself or you will crush it.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (09-18-2011), rjcaster (09-18-2011)