Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

grounding of a barn

I'm wiring an all metal barn. The structure is based on poles cut from 6" pipe from an old pipeline set vertically on 10' centers around the perimeter. Each pole is set in the ground about 3 feet and set in concrete.
C Channel is welded horizontally between the poles with H panel siding.
The lower C channel forms the outside of a reinforced concrete floor, the concrete poured against it. Solid rock is at about 3 feet. Soil is often very dry. Can I use the metal building itself as a ground rather than a copper rod? Or maybe the question is, would not the building itself be a better ground than a ground rod?

Thanks

Dave

Dave Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

grounding of a barn

Ayuh,... While I agree the building is No doubt well grounded,...
I'd still drive a grounding rod, at an angle if necessary, for the electrical entrance...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

grounding of a barn

If you are running a feeder from another structure or having a new service installed, the ground rod is required. This rod is connected to the building and panel via a solid copper conductor sized for the service or feeder.
Check out all the threads on this subject as it has been beat to death here. This is by far the most common type question asked on this forum.
At the top use the search function. You will get all the information you need to do this compliantly and safely. Good luck.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

grounding of a barn

Thanks ya'll for the replies. I'll use a ground rod connected as suggested. I had seen some reference in the 250 section of using the building itself as the ground but was unsure, and I've had trouble in this rocky, dry ground with effective ground rods before.

The main panel has been in place for years without any ground other than the ground wire from the pole to the box. I discovered this while adding on to the building. Now I also need a sub panel.

With a ground rod properly connected to the main box and the building frame, the subpanel should have a seperate bus bar for the auxiliary grounds which is grounded to the box and building framework only and not the neutral bus bar. Correct?

Also, if the subpanel is fed through a 100 amp breaker in the main box (not much else to come from), is it ok to go through another 100 amp breaker at the subpanel just to have a shutoff at that location?

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

grounding of a barn

a building foundation can be an effective ground. In fact, it is better than a rod and was designed because of your situation. Arizona, dry ground; ground rods were ineffective. Mr. Ufer came up with the idea of using the foundation for a grounding electrode/ 250.52(A)(3)

there is also the metal frame of the building or structure, which sounds like your building might fill the bill. that would be 250.52(A)(2). If your building conforms to the requirements detailed in the code, it would be an adequate grounding electrode and it would not require a supplemental electrode, including a rod.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote