Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |

grounding

I am having power brought into a new residential building. Don't worry, I'm not doing the electrical. I have a 320 amp meter can, am bringing in a 400 amp service. So the power is coming to the can first (of course) then to a 400 amp disconnect then to a remote 200 amp panel ( 200 going to another outbuilding in the future) about 8 feet away. My question is about the ground wire. Does it go to the disconnect first, then to the panel or directly to the panel? I am wondering how long to make the ground cable. thanks in advance.

brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #2

grounding

I assume you are talking about the wire that connects to the water pipe and/ or rods.

It goes into the disconnect and the panel gets a 4 wire feed.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
brix (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
I=E/R

grounding

Why are you asking this question if you are not doing the electrical work? Do you feel there is a problem with something?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
J. V. (09-01-2011), Speedy Petey (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

grounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Why are you asking this question if you are not doing the electrical work? Do you feel there is a problem with something?
They always say that when they are to cheap to hire a real electrician.
Or, when they screw up, it was the neighbor or friend that is an electrician that screwed up. I hear this alot.

In some cases they are checking the work of someone they hired. I don't mind answering those questions if I know the answer.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

grounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Uh-oh. Now that he got called on this he'll never be back.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

grounding

I am a union trained mason. So I am doing the stemwall and building myself. According to code, my ground has to be connected to the footer rebar with a direct burial clamp. I just want to make sure my ground wire is long enough to reach it's destination. Wether it be the disconnect which is close or the panel which is remote. You only get one shot with concrete. I don't know much about electric wiring but I feel I have the skill to attach a ground clamp. I can't see calling my electrician to screw on a ground clamp. Thanks for the one helpful answer. I have usually found help on forums, is this different?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
I=E/R

grounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
I am a union trained mason. So I am doing the stemwall and building myself. According to code, my ground has to be connected to the footer rebar with a direct burial clamp. I just want to make sure my ground wire is long enough to reach it's destination. Wether it be the disconnect which is close or the panel which is remote. You only get one shot with concrete. I don't know much about electric wiring but I feel I have the skill to attach a ground clamp. I can't see calling my electrician to screw on a ground clamp. Thanks for the one helpful answer. I have usually found help on forums, is this different?
Now we know
Are you bringing the rebar to the top of the stem wall? That is how it was done when they did my crawl space. I have about 8" of rebar stubbed up so once I installed my main panel I just had to run the #6 copper to the stub and use a Labeled and Listed clamp for rebar.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #8

grounding

No, The clamp has to be submerged in concrete clamped onto one of the 3 (in this case) number 5 rebar in the footer. If I could stub it up like you were allowed to it wouldn't be a problem. This is Florida and their codes are pretty strict. Thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

grounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
Not all clamps that are listed for direct burial are also listed for concrete encasement.

You need a #4 copper for your wire size.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote