Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Ground wire on old Maytag dryer

I have a Maytag dryer that is approximately 20 years old. Trying to convert it to a 4 prong cord. The problem is the green ground screw is about 6 incches from the back panel so the ground wire does not reach the ground screrw. How can I attach the groung wire?

denbo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums! I moved you to "Electrical" for better responses.

Gary

Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
JOATMON

Can you provide a picture?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #4

For me and possibly others it is a bit unclear what you are asking. What do you mean by panel? Are you refering to the receptacle for the Dryer? Or the cord that connects to the dryer? Or maby the electrical panel where the feed for the dryer is? Maby go a tad more into detail
Marc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbo13 View Post
I have a Maytag dryer that is approximately 20 years old. Trying to convert it to a 4 prong cord. The problem is the green ground screw is about 6 incches from the back panel so the ground wire does not reach the ground screrw. How can I attach the groung wire?
If my memory serve me right that the green wire you have there you will have to float it and run the cord green conductor driectally to the grounding screw. ( you will have to tape up the green wire on dryer side )

One way you can tell if this is correct is by using the DVM and run it in ohm scale and ring the green wire on the dryer itself and the neutral termail block ( it will useally be white and it will be in centre stud ) and if that ring or ping it soildly then you will have to do this as I posted above.

The reason why due the manufacter did ran the green wire from the netural point to the frame to bond it together so check it out as I posted above.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Get a short length of wire (a pigtail) and use it as an extension to reach the screw. Bare wire can be used for ground.

Sometimes you can trim back more of the jacket of a replacement appliance cord so the exposed wire ends are long enough to reach the terminals inside the dryer.

Inside the dryer, if you see neutral wires (should be white) attached to the frame directly or using a pigtail or a metal tab, remove that attachment and connect those neutral wires only to each other and to the white wire of the appliance cord. Note that not all white wires inside an appliance are neutral; do not undo or change any connections unless you are sure of what you are doing.

(Twisting wires together to make a connection is not good enough; use a wire nut.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbo13 View Post
A common problem with many appliances. The green lead is simply not long enough to reach the green grounding screw.

I usually will strip some extra outer sheath off the cord, making the leads long enough to reach the grounding screw. The other leads can be curly-q'd up if they appear to be too long to reach their terminals.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
A common problem with many appliances. The green lead is simply not long enough to reach the green grounding screw.

I usually will strip some extra outer sheath off the cord, making the leads long enough to reach the grounding screw. The other leads can be curly-q'd up if they appear to be too long to reach their terminals.
That is one of my most common methold I have done either Americanie side or French side.

Merci.
Marc