Is The Ground Wire Okay Here? 4 Prong Dryer Cord - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is the ground wire okay here? 4 prong dryer cord

I'm not sure if the ground is okay attached to where you see it in the picture. It's a maytag performa dryer. In the video I watched, it said to attach the ground to the plate that covers the hole you put the wires through, but that plate is non existent.

So does this look like it will work safely there?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Is the ground wire okay here? 4 prong dryer cord-image-403158018.jpg  

Advertisement

MrPinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

What do you think? Looks like there is one to me, but the wires are out of whack. They need to be moved one space to the left, due to the strap where the white is, is the Green lug.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
What do you think? Looks like there is one to me, but the wires are out of whack. They need to be moved one space to the left, due to the strap where the white is, is the Green lug.
I've read and re-read what you said, but am failing to see what you're saying. Ive had to switch cords from a 3 to 4 prong. I'm certain it's wired correctly, as far as the red white and black goes, red to red white to white and black to black. There were no wires attached to the terminals between those three wires, so that's where I've attached the ground in the new cord, as pictured.

Maybe you could be a bit more clear in your response?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Cannot be any clearer than what I stated.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

There's no place to even attach anything to the left of where they currently are, dude.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPinkFloyd View Post
There's no place to even attach anything to the left of where they currently are, dude.
'Dude'.....it's somewhat frowned upon for a newbie to cop an attitude with one of the regulars here.

Greg is trying answer your question and actually pointed out something that was not right....no reason to have an attitude....if you want help....you have to be somewhat civil.

Ok....so lets take a step back.....

Problem #2 (problem #1 was the poor wording of your 1st post)....Your neutral wire is on the wrong terminal. See that brass bracket sticking up? Typically that is a ground strap...it's intent is to ground something connected to it. That is where your green wire should go.

So, either move the strap to the green wire or move both those white wires to where the green is now and move the green to the strap.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

'Dude', isn't a term of disrespect where I come from, sorry you interpreted it that way.

If he meant for me to move the white wires up or down a terminal, why did he not just say that? As you can see, there is no 'left' on the terminal block.

Upon watching other videos, I've learned that that grounding strap needs to come off entirely anyway, as it's not needed with a 4 prong plug. Like I said before I'm switching from a 3 to 4 prong.

I'm just going to attach the ground to different screw on the body, as seen done on this maytag model,

That should do it I think, ya?

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Here's what I got.

I'm going to swing that terminal cover down and fasten. Just left it up like that to show inside wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Is the ground wire okay here? 4 prong dryer cord-image-3908430777.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
JOATMON

Thanks for the update....and sorry if I came down on you a little hard....I use 'dude' all the time as well....but in here? Well, it's easy to take it the wrong way....'dude' is one of those words that it's meaning is more of how it is said.....it can mean "Hi", or you screwed up...or, your about to get your ass kicked.....all depends on inflection.....

Anyway...looks right. The key being that you have the chassis properly grounded.

Make sure you stick around....there are a LOT of experienced people here....I'm still learning....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

This is what is should look like, but that plate the ground is attached to in this picture is missing. http://www.ezdiyelectricity.com/imag...w4wirecord.jpg

How is the chassis properly grounded?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
JOATMON

If possible I would try to get that missing plate.....the important point about it is that it provides proper strain relief for the cord and protects it from damage....

The green wire to the back panel is grounding the chassis of the dryer.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

Yea, I'm going to call Maytag tomorrow and see if they can send me a replacement.

Thanks for the help, man. It's much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

The plate you can make out of sheet metal and use one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_183107-15527...t_avg_rating|1 to secure the cord. They come as singles & in three packs.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

you can also attach it to any screw inside so you could put the cover in place

Last edited by RAUL HIDALGO; 11-18-2012 at 09:56 PM.
RAUL HIDALGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

You need the plate more for holding the cord in place than grounding.
Where the ground wire is now is fine until you get a replacement plate.

Advertisement