Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 AM   #1

Share |

ground wire

Our new house has a ground wire coming out near the top of the house and it meets a rod driven into the ground. But the rod has a second wire attached to it with a long wire that coiled and wrapped around the rod. Is there a purpose for this second wire?

Last edited by debd; 04-18-2010 at 02:34 AM.
debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

ground wire

Does that other wire perhaps go to a second ground rod?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

ground wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Does that other wire perhaps go to a second ground rod?
There isn't a second ground rod visible. However the second wire is stripped at the unattached end and I see where it was once attached to the house. I looks like two wires came out of the top of the house and attached to the one rod. So what could this have been attached to at one time, and is it now necessary?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

ground wire

Your description is somewhat confusing, but let me take a crack at it. When you say there is a "ground wire coming out near the top of the house", I assume you mean a wire laying on the roof that is attached to a grounding rod at ground level. The second wire, from our description, is wrapped around the grounding rod, but not attached to anything else.

Sounds like you have a lightning arresting system on your house, and the wire that runs from the roof to the grounding rod is part of the system. As for the unattached wire on the grounding rod, I have no idea, unless at one time it attached to a second grounding rod. I would check your electrical panel to see if there is a grounding wire connected to the panel. There is a chance the loose ground wire belongs to the house electrical system, in which case you had better get it checked out.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

ground wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Your description is somewhat confusing, but let me take a crack at it. When you say there is a "ground wire coming out near the top of the house", I assume you mean a wire laying on the roof that is attached to a grounding rod at ground level. The second wire, from our description, is wrapped around the grounding rod, but not attached to anything else.

Sounds like you have a lightning arresting system on your house, and the wire that runs from the roof to the grounding rod is part of the system. As for the unattached wire on the grounding rod, I have no idea, unless at one time it attached to a second grounding rod. I would check your electrical panel to see if there is a grounding wire connected to the panel. There is a chance the loose ground wire belongs to the house electrical system, in which case you had better get it checked out.

Thanks for taking a crack at it. By top of house I ment high on the wall about a foot down from the eves. But upon closer examination I see that it isn't attached to anything either as it is a loose unattached wire at the top. So I'm assuming that it was once the house ground and it was all detached and changed. How do we go about finding out where the house is grounded?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #6

ground wire

Perhaps a ground wire from a removed satellite dish or TV antenna.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #7

ground wire

electrical is grounded within your CB panel raw copper wire from the pole...telephone companies clap onto the copper piping to ground awat from the utilities.. rod into the ground is lightning arrestor drain back into the earth on a strke
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #8

ground wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
electrical is grounded within your CB panel raw copper wire from the pole...telephone companies clap onto the copper piping to ground awat from the utilities.. rod into the ground is lightning arrestor drain back into the earth on a strke
We indeed found the copper wire running down the side of the telephone/electrical pole. So I'm assuming its one ground for all the houses attached to it, five of us.