Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

Ground to water line

My house and all of those I had before have the ground wire from the panel clamped to the water line where it enters the house. My question is, does it have to be clamped to the line coming in 'before' any joints? I wondered if the sweat joints had some danger in not allowing a good ground? I would like to move the ground clamp up the line 4 or 6 inches to allow me to modify (shorten) the line coming in by about an inch. Currently the line comes thru the foundation and makes a 90 and goes up. About 12 or 14 inches up that pipe is the main shut off. When it was originally plumbed, it sticks in far enough that the studded wall won't be out far enough for me to cover the shut off valve with a fake HVAC return grill.

MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Ground to water line

The ground wire to the panel must be clamped on within 5 feet of where the pipe exits the house and also before the water meter.

It does not have to be before any joints.

Use #4 ground wire between panel and pipe if the electric service is more than 100 amps, otherwise use #6.

One ground wire must run nonstop from the panel to the pipe or nonstop from the panel to a ground rod. Other runs (all ground rods need to be interconnected) can be spliced or can be clamped on to another ground wire.

A complete ground system has jumpers (#6 gauge) across the water meter inlet and outlet, across the hot and cold pipes to the water heater, and across any section of plastic pipe that has metal pipe further up into the house.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-24-2011 at 07:16 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Ground to water line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The ground wire to the panel must be clamped on within 5 feet of where the pipe exits the house and also before the water meter.

It does not have to be before any joints.

Use #4 ground wire between panel and pipe if the electric service is more than 100 amps, otherwise use #6.

One ground wire must run nonstop from the panel to the pipe or nonstop from the panel to a ground rod. Other runs (all ground rods need to be interconnected) can be spliced or can be clamped on to another ground wire.

A complete ground system has jumpers (#6 gauge) across the water meter inlet and outlet, across the hot and cold pipes to the water heater, and across any section of plastic pipe that has metal pipe further up into the house.
It's important to understand that the connection to the water line is a BONDING connection, not specifically a grounding connection (though it does that, too). The purpose is to ensure that a breaker will trip if a hot wire ever contacts the plumbing system, rather than allowing the plumbing to become energized. This is why the connection must be #4 wire for high current services - it may be required to carry high fault current.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #4

Ground to water line

Thanks gents! Makes my life easier.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote