DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GROUND - Wall Oven - Water Line Acceptable?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
I looked, found lots of information - but each case is different and none like mine.
Replacing a Standard range that has a three wire pig-tail (Red, Black, White). Have to move the electrical about 9 feet, which will cause a splice - not a problem. New wall oven is three wire with ground. Instructions recommend a ground, but state that ground can be tied to the nuetral (white). Have a copper cold water pipe located about six horizontal and six vertical feet away. This water line either comes through the slab or comes off a bathroom and runs through the wall to its location (water supply for refrigerator). I can cut the sheet rock away and make a ground connection. Then have to patch the sheetrock. Question - is it worth the effort to get a ground, or just connect the ground to the nuetral.
TIA
Michael

#4 ·
It can be very dangerous to connect a ground to a neutral. Don't do that. The problem is if the neutral connection is lost, the metal frame of the appliance can become energized and electrocute you!

Note that it is not uncommon for a neutral connection to come loose.

Then when splicing higher amperage wires, a regular connection will not be good enough. For example on a circuit breaker panel, the label will say to torque (with a torque wrench) the main lugs to a certain tightness in foot pounds. If the lugs are not tight, the connection can become warm or hot.

Connecting a ground to a nearby water pipe is not a good idea. This is because a plumber (or homeowner) may come along in the future and replace metal pipe with plastic pipe. Then no more ground. Also best to have a "central point of ground".

In other words, it is best and safest to run a new 4 conductor wire from the panel and use a new 4 conductor cord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.