Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

ground tied in with neutral

i noticed that a switch,being fed from a receptacle had a ground wire tied in with the white wires.its like this.feed from outlet to switch,ground wire cut,the ground wire from the fed wire[witch is for a cieling fan only] is tied in with the nuetrals.im pretty sure the grounds should be run through and pigtailed,to attactch to the green screw on the switch.right?.its probably been like this a long time.i just noticed it today but left it the way it is for now.should i just leave it or run the ground to the green screw on the switch and through to the fan.

imawelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

The ground should never be connected to the neutral in a switch or receptacle box. Doing so can create a potentially deadly shock hazard.

Cletis (12-29-2013), gregzoll (12-29-2013), imawelder (12-28-2013), mj12 (12-30-2013), mpoulton (12-28-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Banned Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawelder View Post
i noticed that a switch,being fed from a receptacle had a ground wire tied in with the white wires.its like this.feed from outlet to switch,ground wire cut,the ground wire from the fed wire[witch is for a cieling fan only] is tied in with the nuetrals.im pretty sure the grounds should be run through and pigtailed,to attactch to the green screw on the switch.right?.its probably been like this a long time.i just noticed it today but left it the way it is for now.should i just leave it or run the ground to the green screw on the switch and through to the fan.
That is called a bootleg ground,and is dangerous , do not leave it that way.
gregzoll (12-29-2013), imawelder (12-28-2013), mpoulton (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #4

The purpose of a ground wire in any circuit is to allow fault current a path to flow and should never be used as the return path for normal current. This is gor safety. The only place that the neutral and ground are connected is at the panel. If the ground is tied to the neutral at a load, outlet or a switch and a fault occurs it is possible for the fault current to flow through other loads on its way back to the main panel and damage those loads.

Under normal conditions the ground wire should never have any current flowing on it.
statum1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to statum1012 For This Useful Post:
imawelder (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

i figured it was wrong.wasnt exactly sure of all the details why though.i dont understand why ppl would take such shortcuts.why not just do it the right way!.im going to make it right today.thanks for the replies!!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

i guess i could mention that my house burnt 20 yrs ago and was redone by the previous owner[who was a mechanic at a plastic factory].obviously had to have some knowledge of electricity and codes.since ive been here ive changed a lot of things around. i think he stole half of the supplies from the plant and took many shortcuts to save a buck!.why someone would put thier life into rebuilding a home only to take dangerous shortcuts with electrical is beyond me!!.thanks for the info guys
Old 12-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawelder View Post
[who was a mechanic at a plastic factory].obviously had to have some knowledge of electricity and codes.
Don't bet on that!
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-29-2013), imawelder (12-29-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Electrical Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawelder
i guess i could mention that my house burnt 20 yrs ago and was redone by the previous owner[who was a mechanic at a plastic factory].obviously had to have some knowledge of electricity and codes
Maybe enough to be dangerous yes.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle_in_rure For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-29-2013), imawelder (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #9

Would be a good idea to check the rest of the circuit/outlets too.Seeing what dangerous shortcuts were applied on it ,there may be more.
Better to be safe than on fire..again.
hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hidden1 For This Useful Post:
imawelder (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

ive been through most of the house already.almost every recep replaced,changed a few things in the box and got rid of a couple circuits i know i wont need and want the room for other stuff later maybee.one thing i know i need is a box with more lugs.mine is a square d 200 amp with 30 poles[or lugs?].a friend told me i could get a box with more "spots" for breakers that way i would be able to have more circuits and less stuff tied in together everywhere.every breaker except the heaters and stove and dryer have 2 black wires because theres so many receps and switches and not enough spots for them to have thier own breakers.uugghhhh.its messy but i like doing it over for my enjoyment education and peace of mind!!!. i really appreciate the feed back from you guys.remember the name...if you need advice with anything welding or metal related...ask me!!!.thanks guys
Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Licensed electrician

You may have a 30/40 panel. Post the model number for confirmation.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
Maybe enough to be dangerous yes.
Whats the old saying ?
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

TOO TRUE !
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
Kyle_in_rure (12-29-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
TWX

The question is, was all of this avant-garde wiring done to repair the house that burned, or was it done before the house burned?

TWX is offline   Reply With Quote