Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ground screw

Recently installed new range hood (Broan/Nutone Allure III). The ground screw provided for the ground line is stuck and I can't tighten it to clamp the ground. Is it sufficient to tightly wrap the ground line around the screw? Any other suggestions? I could provide pictures this evening if necessary.

Thanks.

cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

ground screw

Wrapping it around the screw would not prevent it from coming loose
You need to securely fasten the wire, even if that means installing another screw
The screw needs to be able to tighten down & hold the wire for a secure connection

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

ground screw

Thanks.

I called Broan and they are sending a replacement screw. Pretty good customer service!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,004

ground screw

Its not the screw. Its the operator of the screw driver or the screw driver itself. Most all grounding screws are self tapping when provided in an appliance such as yours. All you need is a nut driver that fits the screw head, instead of using a screw driver. Or a bigger screw driver. Once it cuts the first couple threads, it will go in easy.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

ground screw

The screw was already half way in when I received the unit - I can unscrew it no problem, but screwing in further than how I received it is not possible (the piece of metal it is screwed into seems properly threaded). I'll see how the new one does and post an update.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,004

ground screw

A new screw is not going to fix it. Take a nut driver and run the screw all the way in, then back it out and attach your wire. It is very hard to start some ground screws. It happens to electricians all the time. The right size screw driver or nut driver or socket wrench will allow you to get enough force on the crew to send it through the sheet metal. Put some elbow grease into it.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Glad To Be Here

ground screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Recently installed new range hood (Broan/Nutone Allure III). The ground screw provided for the ground line is stuck and I can't tighten it to clamp the ground. Is it sufficient to tightly wrap the ground line around the screw? Any other suggestions? I could provide pictures this evening if necessary.

Thanks.
Is it possible there is some portion of the cabinet or framework that the screw is hitting preventing it from further penetration? With the screw out you test with a small nail or piece of wire that there is clearance behind the hood to accommodate the hood. If you feel a blockage of wood, I would just replace the screw with a #10 sheet metal screw that would not only screw into the hood metal work but also screw into the wood behind it. If is something other than wood preventing the penetration such as a nail, just move over a 1/2" or so and use a sheet metal screw. Good Luck

Pro_DYIer is offline   Reply With Quote