Ground Question - Electrical - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #16
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

ground question


While it is true that a GFCI will allow a 3-prong receptacle on a 2-wire circuit, some electronic equipment likes to have a real ground, bonded to the neutral at the service. I know that computers operating without a ground tend to crash more often on a "No Equipment Ground" circuit. Blue Screen of Death.

Inphase277

Advertisement

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #17
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
While it is true that a GFCI will allow a 3-prong receptacle on a 2-wire circuit, some electronic equipment likes to have a real ground, bonded to the neutral at the service. I know that computers operating without a ground tend to crash more often on a "No Equipment Ground" circuit. Blue Screen of Death.

Inphase277
But that doesn't automaticly mean that its going to happen. My computer was on an ungrounded cct for a few years, and never once had an issue with it.

Are there any "favorable" conditions to make this happen more in some cases and less in others?
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

ground question


CowboyAndy. It would depend on how well the power supply in the computer can filter out AC noise from other appliances like microwaves or old furnace motors, and static noise/charges on stuff like phone/ and cable lines. Newer switching power supplies are more dependable.
Dilligaf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #19
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf77 View Post
CowboyAndy. It would depend on how well the power supply in the computer can filter out AC noise from other appliances like microwaves or old furnace motors, and static noise/charges on stuff like phone/ and cable lines. Newer switching power supplies are more dependable.
Quick question about computers if anyone can answer this... is there any issue with having the vaccum plugged in to the same circuit (not same recep) as the computer?
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

ground question


Name:  406.3(D)(3).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  70.4 KB

Heres a pic for ya.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
Licensed Electrician
 
jrclen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 982
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
Quick question about computers if anyone can answer this... is there any issue with having the vaccum plugged in to the same circuit (not same recep) as the computer?
It depends. Vacuums pull a lot of power so they could cause a voltage sag on the circuit. And the brush type motors are arcin and sparcin machines. A decent power supply and UPS can usually deal with both problems.

I haven't had any problems and I run a 5 computer lan in my house with a router and hub. The router and hub are on a circuit with my aquariums and related equipment.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #22
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
It depends. Vacuums pull a lot of power so they could cause a voltage sag on the circuit. And the brush type motors are arcin and sparcin machines. A decent power supply and UPS can usually deal with both problems.

I haven't had any problems and I run a 5 computer lan in my house with a router and hub. The router and hub are on a circuit with my aquariums and related equipment.

I didn't actually have a problem with it, I was just curious because I did this the other day without even realizing it and thought about it after the fact...

Its a pretty powerful vaccum too, one of them Kirby's. Boy was my wife pissed when she found out that I went and vaccumed all the heat vents with it, including one that hasn't been cleaned in probably 20 years...
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Licensed Electrician
 
jrclen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 982
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
I didn't actually have a problem with it, I was just curious because I did this the other day without even realizing it and thought about it after the fact...

Its a pretty powerful vaccum too, one of them Kirby's. Boy was my wife pissed when she found out that I went and vaccumed all the heat vents with it, including one that hasn't been cleaned in probably 20 years...
Wait until you use the dishwasher for a parts washer.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #24
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Wait until you use the dishwasher for a parts washer.

One of my previous girlfriends got mad becasue i used her oven to bake on powercoating on a pair of headers...


does that count?
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
One of my previous girlfriends got mad becasue i used her oven to bake on powercoating on a pair of headers...


does that count?
Kitchenaid mixer to stir epoxy paint...
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Kitchenaid mixer to stir epoxy paint...
I think we have a winner!!!
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

ground question


I made a bunch of 3/4 " PVC 90's in the oven one time. It worked great and even left some grill marks


She comes home and says, "Why does it smell toxic in here?"

I dunno
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #28
Licensed Electrician
 
jrclen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 982
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


It's amazing how many dual purpose appliances we have around the house.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #29
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


I used our old vaccum (before the kirby) to vaccum up sheetrock and plaster dust. Didn't work out so well. Hence why we got the kirby.
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #30
Licensed Electrician
 
jrclen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central wisconsin
Posts: 982
Rewards Points: 500
Default

ground question


Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
I used our old vaccum (before the kirby) to vaccum up sheetrock and plaster dust. Didn't work out so well. Hence why we got the kirby.
Been there and done that. My wife bought me a shop vac right after that little incident. Her vacuum didn't break. But the next time she used it, it blew white dust all over the house before she noticed the broken bag.

Advertisement

jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This doesnt seem right. JoulesWinfield Electrical 27 07-26-2009 08:40 PM
Ground Clamps Question integlikewhoa Electrical 40 02-28-2008 10:13 PM
Conduit, above ground, code question davewest Electrical 6 02-27-2008 04:55 PM
Subpanel feeder questions Silhanek Electrical 4 03-22-2007 07:30 PM
To bond or not to bond,That is the question generaltzao Electrical 2 03-26-2005 09:40 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts