Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |

In ground Pool Electric in NJ

I am installing an in ground pool and will be running the electric my self.
Here is my plan that will be inspected by the town:

17x33 Grecian pool with metal sides
paver decking
1 1/2 hp cartridge pool pump/filter
3/4 Polaris booster pump for vacuum
Intermatic T30404R 100 amp Pool Control (2 timer)
Pentair 601002 120v pool light

Here is my plan:

From a 50amp double pole breaker in my main panel, I will run 4 THHN #6 (black, red, green, white) in 1 1/4 pvc buried 18" the Intermatic Pool Panel.

In the Intermatic will be:

1 20 amp double pole gfci breaker on one timer for the main 1 1/2 pump run with 3 #12 THHN (red, black, green) 240v

1 20 amp double pole gfci breaker on the other timer for the 3/4hp Polaris pump run with 3 #12 THHN (red, black, green) 240v

1 20 amp single pole breaker for the convenience gfi receptacle run with 3 #12 THHN (black, white green) and off the load of the gfi outlet I will run 3 #12 (back,white,green) to the light switch in the same, for wet locations box.
From this box I will run 3 #12 THHN (black, white, green) to the deck box to wire up the light.
(Is this okay or should I run the convenience receptacle and the light on different circuits?)

From the pool light, I will run 1" pvc from the wet niche. In this pvc I will run 1 solid green #8 from the inside wet niche bonding lug ,(encased in potting compound), to the deck box where it will terminate in the deck box. There is a lug on the bottom of the deck box that will be connected with another #8 solid bare copper wire to the bonding wire that hit the 4 equal locations around the pool, ladder, and 2 stair handles.

I have been reading that there should be another #8 green ground run in the 1" conduit from the pool light to the deck box? I am not sure if this is correct. Where would it attach in the wet niche. I assume the light cord has its own ground that would be connected in the deck box. Maybe this is the ground they are referring too. I am a little confused here.

I will also connect the bonding lug on the outside of the wet niche, (encased in potting compound), to the pool or right to the #6 bare bonding wire that will be around the pool under the pavers.
I am not sure here?

Also do I connect the ladder, and handles to the pool metal sides and then to the bonding wire or just to the bonding wire?

I will connect all bonded items with direct burial lugs as needed

I appreciate your help in advance. This site has helped me tremendously.

Wow that was long.

taylor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor01 View Post

paver decking

Here is my plan:

From a 50amp double pole breaker in my main panel, I will run 4 THHN #6 (black, red, green, white) in 1 1/4 pvc buried 18" the Intermatic Pool Panel.

1 20 amp double pole gfci breaker on one timer for the main 1 1/2 pump run with 3 #12 THHN (red, black, green) 240v

1 20 amp double pole gfci breaker on the other timer for the 3/4hp Polaris pump run with 3 #12 THHN (red, black, green) 240v

1 20 amp single pole breaker for the convenience gfi receptacle run with 3 #12 THHN (black, white green) and off the load of the gfi outlet I will run 3 #12 (back,white,green) to the light switch in the same, for wet locations box.
From this box I will run 3 #12 THHN (black, white, green) to the deck box to wire up the light.
(Is this okay or should I run the convenience receptacle and the light on different circuits?)

From the pool light, I will run 1" pvc from the wet niche. In this pvc I will run 1 solid green #8 from the inside wet niche bonding lug ,(encased in potting compound), to the deck box where it will terminate in the deck box. There is a lug on the bottom of the deck box that will be connected with another #8 solid bare copper wire to the bonding wire that hit the 4 equal locations around the pool, ladder, and 2 stair handles.

I have been reading that there should be another #8 green ground run in the 1" conduit from the pool light to the deck box? I am not sure if this is correct. Where would it attach in the wet niche. I assume the light cord has its own ground that would be connected in the deck box. Maybe this is the ground they are referring too. I am a little confused here.

I will also connect the bonding lug on the outside of the wet niche, (encased in potting compound), to the pool or right to the #6 bare bonding wire that will be around the pool under the pavers.
I am not sure here?

Also do I connect the ladder, and handles to the pool metal sides and then to the bonding wire or just to the bonding wire?

Wow that was long.
Hire a professional, please.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #3

Here is a picture of the pool.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

I have built and wired 3 complete houses and read all the Nec codes that have to do with pool installs and also watched 2 other pools be installed and wired.
I am not your average DIY.
I enjoy doing this and do not want to hire it out. I am fully capable of doing this.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I'm not big on DIY pool wiring myself, but I get the impression you are going to do this no matter what.

#8 SOLID is all you need for equipotential bonding.

The outside of the wet niche does NOT need potting compound. The inside does.
See 680.23(B)(2)(b)

An insulated #8 solid or stranded must be run if PVC is used from the forming shell to the deck box/
See 680.23(B)(2)(b)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

So I just need one #8 solid or stranded from the lug on the inside of the forming shell wet niche (encased in potting compound) to the lug on the inside of the deck box run in the 1" pvc?

Then it will just be that #8 and the light cord only in the 1" pvc from the wet niche to the deck box?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
So I just need one #8 solid or stranded INSULATED from the lug on the inside of the forming shell wet niche (encased in potting compound) to the lug on the inside of the deck box run in the 1" pvc?

Then it will just be that #8 and the light cord only in the 1" pvc from the wet niche to the deck box?
Yes, but you still need to hit the outside of the forming shell with the equipotential bond as part of the grid.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:

paver decking

Here is my plan:

I have been reading that there should be another #8 green ground run in the 1" conduit from the pool light to the deck box? I am not sure if this is correct. Yes, it connects to the lug inside the niche and requires the encapsulating compound. The other end terminates inside the deck box. Where would it attach in the wet niche. I assume the light cord has its own ground that would be connected in the deck box. Maybe this is the ground they are referring too. I am a little confused here.

I will also connect the bonding lug on the outside of the wet niche, (encased in potting compound) not required, to the pool or right to the #6 bare bonding wire that will be around the pool under the pavers.
I am not sure here?

The pool is required to have an equipotential bonding grid which complies with NEC 680.26(B)2 and shall extent 3' from the pool around the entire perimeter.

Also do I connect the ladder, and handles to the pool metal sides and then to the bonding wire or just to the bonding wire? Either is fine.

Wow that was long.
My responses are in red.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Lic Electrical Inspector

Also check out this thread I started for DIY'ers in New Jersey.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
So I just need one #8 solid or stranded from the lug on the inside of the forming shell wet niche (encased in potting compound) to the lug on the inside of the deck box run in the 1" pvc?

Yep .. as Speedy has already pointed out.

Here is a diagram I put together for posts on our forum for this exact question.
Attached Thumbnails
In ground Pool Electric in NJ-wet-niche-forming-shell.jpg  
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #11

Excellent schematic Stubbie. A picture is worth thousand words.