Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #1

Share |

Is this ground ok?

This is the ground for my cable and phone...did the installers do it wrong? I can change this out easy...Ive search the nec and didn't find much...

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_4918.jpg

(the green wires exit with a clamp type connector)

Last edited by rgsgww; 11-23-2008 at 07:26 PM.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Is this ground ok?

I can't believe the phone company or cable company would run ground wires into your electric panel? These guys are well trained about grounding usually????

Anyway grounds should stay outside where they belong. If there is a surge of electricity or lightning, you want it to stay outside.

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #3

Is this ground ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
I can't believe the phone company or cable company would run ground wires into your electric panel? These guys are well trained about grounding usually????

Anyway grounds should stay outside where they belong. If there is a surge of electricity or lightning, you want it to stay outside.
It wasn't them...I think it was some electricians awhile ago.

The phone and cable are underground and exit ground inside the house. The only way to ground is inside.

I'm wondering if the clamp type connector and the ground wires entering the panel like that is ok? Ive read the nec countless number of times and don't see anything saying this is wrong.

Isnt the ground supposed to be bonded to the system ground?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #4

Is this ground ok?

Well I have read a lot on this, but don't remember if it was NEC, or interpreted from the NEC, or what.

But anyway everything I have ever read shows the cable or phone wires along the outside wall of the building, then the ground wires from these running along the outside wall and connecting to the electric service ground rod or the ground wire which connects to the electric service ground wire.

The basic idea is that a voltage surge or lightning comes down through the wires, travels along the outside wall, then down to ground. (Never entering the building.)

Here is an inside picture where the ground goes directly to a pipe going outside...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #5

Is this ground ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Well I have read a lot on this, but don't remember if it was NEC, or interpreted from the NEC, or what.

But anyway everything I have ever read shows the cable or phone wires along the outside wall of the building, then the ground wires from these running along the outside wall and connecting to the electric service ground rod or the ground wire which connects to the electric service ground wire.

The basic idea is that a voltage surge or lightning comes down through the wires, travels along the outside wall, then down to ground. (Never entering the building.)

Here is an inside picture where the ground goes directly to a pipe going outside...

Ive been reading the 2005 code (my state) and I don't see anything wrong with the setup currently.

I understand what the basic idea is...though there are no pipes exiting where the conductors are...only pvc conduit.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #6

Is this ground ok?

The cable and phone must be grounded to the building grounds not a separate rod as some do. This is code to connect to the panle ground.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #7

Is this ground ok?

Here is the typical installation diagram for outside. This is basically what I have seen for everything like cable TV, satellite dish, phone, etc.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #8

Is this ground ok?

P.S. I just found that picture on google - have no idea how old/new it is.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #9

Is this ground ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The cable and phone must be grounded to the building grounds not a separate rod as some do. This is code to connect to the panle ground.

Thats good to know. Now I can focus on my amplifiers, etc.

When people sink rods and don't bond to the system Ive seen "ground loop" problems...

Last edited by rgsgww; 11-23-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #10

Is this ground ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
Thats good to know. Now I can focus on my amplifiers, etc.

When people sink rods and don't bond to the system Ive seen "ground loop" problems...
I guess I'm kind of thick, but what kind of "ground loop" problems are you talking about? Logic tells me a ground is a ground no matter whats attached?
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
DIYer

Is this ground ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1610 CUB View Post
I guess I'm kind of thick, but what kind of "ground loop" problems are you talking about? Logic tells me a ground is a ground no matter whats attached?
A ground is a ground, but wires (and grounds) have non-zero resistance.

In an ideal world, ground loops would never happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

This is one reason the NEC requires a single grounding point for the service ground (the main panel).
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #12

Is this ground ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
This is one reason the NEC requires a single grounding point for the service ground (the main panel).
Actually it is the main disconnect not the main panel. Some places have a separate disconnect at the meter. The ground point would be here not the main panel in the house. The main panel would have ground and neutral separated.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Is this ground ok?

The termination of the communications/data network is perfectly fine within the service equipment enclosure. It may not have been the best option assuming it was farther away than some other point of the GES but is allowed. Lightning will enter the main panel and/or service equipment no matter how you do your grounding to the GES because of the bonding to the service equipment and distribution panels.

Communications electrodes. If the structure has a grounding means, you have several grounding conductor termination options. Terminate to the nearest accessible point of the following locations:
  • Grounding electrode system [250.50].
  • Interior metal water piping system, within 5 feet from point of entrance [250.52(A)(1)].
  • Service bonding means [250.94].
  • Metallic service raceway.
  • Service equipment enclosure, or
  • Grounding electrode conductor (or GEC metal enclosure).
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #14

Is this ground ok?

Thank you all fore being so helpful. I will let you know how it turns out (assuming it isnt too long, as I need to have rg/11 Q dropped)